Prince Fielder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prince Fielder

In 2013, his age 29 season, Prince Fielder reached career high in at bats in a season, 624 (34 more than his next highest season), but career lows in runs scored, walks, homers, on base percentage and ISO (which is one of my favorite metrics, princes' ISO dropped significantly to just .178 this past season. For comparison, Fielders ISO was .215 in 2012 and .267 in 2011).

Fielder still drove in over 100 runs as usual as he played every game. However, at bats has a direct correlation to counting stats, so little surprise with the rbi total when a power hitter such as Prince plays 162 games.

I believe offense was down across the league but prince isn't being paid $24 million per season for the next 7 years of his career to already be on the decline. Do I think it is just the ebbs and flows of a career? Yup, and I do believe Prince shall once again, in 2014, hit his 30 homers, drive in his 100 runs and again play pretty much every game...which is why Detroit signed him to such a massive contract running through 2020.

2 years ago, both Albert Poo-holes and Prince Fielder signed giant, long term contracts. Currently, there is no doubt which first baseman looks better. Going forward, I would put my money on the younger, healthier Fielder to continue to win the stats war.

Agree that Fielder will almost certainly pay out better than Pujols. However, while he still plays every game, it's pretty apparent the nicks and hurts of a long season are beginning to wear on Prince a lot more than 3 or 4 years ago. From a fantasy standpoint, I'd not be paying ultra-premium dollars for Prince until/unless he decides to get in much better shape.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      Agree that Fielder will almost certainly pay out better than Pujols. However, while he still plays every game, it's pretty apparent the nicks and hurts of a long season are beginning to wear on Prince a lot more than 3 or 4 years ago. From a fantasy standpoint, I'd not be paying ultra-premium dollars for Prince until/unless he decides to get in much better shape.
      That's pretty much what I was thinking. I don't expect Fielder to ever be one of those cut, buff, six-pack abs guys, but like Pablo Sandoval, he can and should do a lot more to be physically durable. I'm also of the opinion that an athlete who's not in reasonable physical condition is prone to not be in good mental condition. Sloppiness is contagious.
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

I think Fielder's most interesting split this year was vs LHP/RHP

vs LHP he hit .292/.360/.459, which is better than his career .267/.347/.457.
        vs RHP, he dropped to .271/.364/.455, vs career .295/.408/.562.

He had a really good September, though he hit poorly in the playoffs. Overall, I think he's a good bet for improvement in 2014. I'd be more concerned if he had a poor year vs LHP. I don't recall anybody in decline becoming average vs their favorable side first.
        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Working...
        X