Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Brian McCann Worth 6 Yrs, $100m?

My first thought was "are you nucking futs" but:

Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York was told by one MLB general manager that Brian McCann could receive a deal for six years and $100 million this winter.
    The GM argued that McCann is a top-five catcher and could transition to first base and DH near the end of the contract. $100 million sounds like a stretch, but as always, it only takes one team to make the possibility a reality. The most likely comp for a deal will be Yadier Molina, who signed a five-year, $75 million extension with the Cardinals in March of 2012. McCann will turn 30 years old next February.
    Source: ESPN New York
    Oct 15 - 1:39 PM

I'd max out around 4/56 or 5/65 but I wouldn't be shocked to see someone go 6/84...GM's are nuts

Comment

No way. And McCann is no Molina. Molina, I'd have given 100 million to....I think the Cards got a great deal with that one.

Comment

revo - your first thought was right. Always trust the first instinct.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I love Brian McCann and really hope the Braves have a chance to resign him, but no way I'd give him 6 yr/$100M. I guess I can see an AL club overspending a bit since he could be a decent DH in the twilight of his career, but that is a lot of coin for a catcher.

If I'm the Braves I'd rather look to trade Gattis and sign McCann if it's at all willing to entertain a hometown discount. I have a friend that is in the inner circle there that indicated McCann was very bitter about the Braves starting David Ross over him in the 2012 Wild Card game and really wanted to stick it to the club. A year has passed and a lot can change, but I can't seem to get that comment out of my head.

Comment

Yadi gave the Cards a huge discount. You don't think he would have gotten 7/110 on the open market?

McCann is lucky because there are some "rich" teams who need catching. NYY, BOS (maybe), PHI, maybe LAA, TOR, CHW.

Comment

I saw Brian McCann, "New York" and 6 years/100 million and almost blacked out because I thought the Mets were going to sign him for that price.

Comment

6 years at 30 years old in the catching position? That's crazy. His production is already dropping off and his games played have dropped off each of the last three years. So pay nearly 17 million a year for a catcher who will play about 115-120 games with production dropping before he hits 31?

I hope not. But baseball seems to be slow to learn in signing 30 something players to longer contracts.
                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I guess I'm the one who's nucking futs!

Comment

Well, when you factor in the value of the 1st rd pick the Yankees lose in this, McCann is a $100M to them

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      I guess I'm the one who's nucking futs!
                      Perhaps, but that's not the subject of this thread.

If the deal really is for five years with an option for a sixth year, and up to $100 million, I'm on your side. Those are George-era Yankee numbers. McCann is a very good offensive catcher, but he's 30, his durability is certainly in question (less than 130 games for the last three years running), and his production in 2013, while an improvement over 2012, wasn't up to his previous level. He's never hit more than 24HR or driven in 100 runs.

Don't get me wrong. I think this is a good signing given the team's need. The Yankees may be upgrading their catching exponentially over last year, but IMO they may be paying for his peak year, 2008, and that was a while back.

And they still have a ton of other needs.
                      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                      -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                        Is McCann well regarded defensively?
                        As a thrower...not at all but I believe he is considered to be a solid pitch framer.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                          Well, when you factor in the value of the 1st rd pick the Yankees lose in this, McCann is a $100M to them
                          The contract has a vest that would bring it to 6 yrs, $100m. So perhaps the GM who told Andrew Marchand this was Brian Cashman!

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                            As a thrower...not at all but I believe he is considered to be a solid pitch framer.
                            That's what I've heard--not great but not bad. When a catcher puts up his kind of offensive numbers, average defense is a plus. I haven't heard negatives about his pitch-calling, either.
                            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                            -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                              Is McCann well regarded defensively?
                              Not by Carlos Gomez.
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X