Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who to keep: Andrew Bailey or Joel Hanrahan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who to keep: Andrew Bailey or Joel Hanrahan?

If you could just keep one of these in a 15-team mixed 5x5, which would it be?

Bailey is $3 in his option year. To sign him through 2012 would make him $8 this year and next.

Hanrahan is $1 in his second year. So I could get his profit this year and next without spending any money for an extension.

I am not too worried (but still a little bit worried) about Bailey's health. He's gotten a pretty good report from Dr. Andrews. He has had a previous TJ, though, about five years ago.

Right now I'm leaning toward Hanrahan. He has very little closer experience, but his K/9 is off the chart.

If I throw Bailey back and decide I want him, I don't think he would be much over $10, and he'd have a fresh clock. I like the idea of having a possible two more years out of Hanrahan without an extension.

So, Hanrahan the inexperienced with a strong competitor in Meek, or Bailey with health issues and a team that doesn't tend to stick with a closer very long?

I've seen too many of these "forearm strains" morph into season ending injuries of one sort or another. I'd keep Hanrahan.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Any other thoughts here? Or does everyone agree with chance?

chance makes sense, as usual, and I don't think it is just because I like what he concluded.

Someone has told me off-forum, though, that Bailey should bring $15 - $20 at auction.

I wish we had one of those "mulligan" policies like some leagues, where you can just drop a guy with no penalty right before the auction.

Comment

I agree with chance. The job is Hanrahan's. Take the sure thing.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I am with Chance too. I do worry that the Pirates deal Hanny at the break and he becomes a setup guy, but I worry more about Bailey's forearm issue becoming a UCL issue even before that. Plus, look at the OAK bullpen, it's not like they need to push Bailey to pitch back-to-backs if they're worried about him.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            I am with Chance too. I do worry that the Pirates deal Hanny at the break and he becomes a setup guy, but I worry more about Bailey's forearm issue becoming a UCL issue even before that. Plus, look at the OAK bullpen, it's not like they need to push Bailey to pitch back-to-backs if they're worried about him.
            While I agree with this. I want to add that there is a chance Hanrahan gets traded to someone who actually needs a closer as well. This does help minimize some of the risk. If Meek is available, it would be a good idea to try to pick him up in the end game.

Comment

Yeah, I went out early and traded for Meek just in case he came out of ST with the job. In retrospect, a wasted trade, but I wanted that insurance. Plus, I know that Meek will be thrown back in the pile for me to have a shot at him.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm going to go with that pederast Hanrahan, and try to move Bailey.
              Last edited by ; 03-21-2011, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                Yeah, I went out early and traded for Meek just in case he came out of ST with the job. In retrospect, a wasted trade, but I wanted that insurance. Plus, I know that Meek will be thrown back in the pile for me to have a shot at him.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm going to go with that pederast Hanrahan, and try to move Bailey.
                I am not understanding your post. Do you have Meeks now? Are you thinking if you throw him back you get him cheaper?

Comment

I have Meek now. Earlier in the off-season, I thought either Hanrahan or Meek would get the job. I already had Hanrahan, so I went out and traded for Meek. Hanrahan is $1, Meek is $5.

My intention is to toss him back. I think he will be cheaper in a 15-team mixed, but I don't have a freeze spot for a setup guy anyway. He might make it to the reserve draft.

(I had tons of setup guys, and still have most of them. League, Uehara, Motte, Betancourt, McClellan, Rauch, Wuertz, etc. I tend to collect them.)

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                    I have Meek now. Earlier in the off-season, I thought either Hanrahan or Meek would get the job. I already had Hanrahan, so I went out and traded for Meek. Hanrahan is $1, Meek is $5.

My intention is to toss him back. I think he will be cheaper in a 15-team mixed, but I don't have a freeze spot for a setup guy anyway. He might make it to the reserve draft.

(I had tons of setup guys, and still have most of them. League, Uehara, Motte, Betancourt, McClellan, Rauch, Wuertz, etc. I tend to collect them.)
                    I think Meek and Uehara have the best shot at being cheap closers. If you have the spot I would definitely try to snag Meek in the end game.

Comment

That sounds like good advice. But I might have to stick back a little more money than I normally would for the end game...Meek might go for more than a buck.

Thanks, everyone, for the insights.

Comment

Working...
                      X