Season Over... Keeper Input for 2014?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season Over... Keeper Input for 2014?

With a lackluster fantasy season now in the books, I'm looking toward 2014. Would appreciate input on my keepers (NL only 5x5; we keep 7).

Which 7 would you keep? Who would you extend (additional $5 per extension year)? Where would you look to trade / improve?

Carlos Gomez $2 option year (extend to $7 through 2015? or $12 through 2016?)
    Ian Desmond $19 option year (final year or extend to $24 through 2015?)
    Kenley Jansen $11 option year (final year or extend to $16 through 2015?)
    Michael Wacha $5
    Nolan Arenado $8
    Wilson Ramos $10
    Jeff Samardzija $2 option year (final year or extend to $7 through 2015?)
    Adam Eaton $15
    Dillon Gee $10
    Matt Harvey $5 option year (drop, extend to $10 through 2015, or extend to $15 through 2016?)
    Corey Hart $21

Before biasing anyone with my thoughts, I would like to hear what fellow junkies think.

Thanks, everyone.

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
    With a lackluster fantasy season now in the books, I'm looking toward 2014. Would appreciate input on my keepers (NL only 5x5; we keep 7).

Which 7 would you keep? Who would you extend (additional $5 per extension year)? Where would you look to trade / improve?

Carlos Gomez $2 option year (extend to $7 through 2015? or $12 through 2016?)
    Ian Desmond $19 option year (final year or extend to $24 through 2015?)
    Kenley Jansen $11 option year (final year or extend to $16 through 2015?)
    Michael Wacha $5
    Nolan Arenado $8
    Wilson Ramos $10
    Adam Eaton $15
    Dillon Gee $10
    Matt Harvey $5 option year (drop, extend to $10 through 2015, or extend to $15 through 2016?)
    Corey Hart $21

Before biasing anyone with my thoughts, I would like to hear what fellow junkies think.

Thanks, everyone.
    Four jump out at me as "must keeps"--

Gomez (extend one year)
    Jansen (no extension for closers)
    Wacha
    Samardzija (no extension)

Caveat--I'm very extension-averse, particularly for pitchers. YMMV

Maybe, in order--

Arenado
    Ramos
    Harvey (but you'd have to extend him, as he'll have no value in 2014)
    Desmond (no extension)

Doubtful--

Gee
    Eaton

I just don't see positive value at those prices.

Absolutely not--

Hart
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Thanks, DQ. The two I am very surprised by are Desmond (who has earned $30 two years in a row and plays SS) and Samardzija (who has been awful except for the Ks). I'm thinking of trading Harvey because this team should be a contender in 2014, and burning $10 (and a keeper slot) seems like a poor move for a contending team -- unless he can be flipped in-season for a better return.

Comment

I would keep Gomez (extend 1, maybe 2 years if you are feeling lucky), Jansen (probably no extension, depends on what closers go for in your league), Wacha, Arenado, Ramos and Desmond (probably no extension). Then I'd trade Samarddjfkja and Harvey for the best keeper you can get.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

In a keeper league that deep, I thin Gomez is pretty safe money at 2 years, $12. He still strikes out too much, but his power/speed/defense will keep him on the field and consistently productive in fantasy.
          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Carlos Gomez $2 option year ($12 through 2016?)
            Ian Desmond $19 option year
            Kenley Jansen $11 option year
            Michael Wacha $5
            Nolan Arenado $8
            Wilson Ramos $10

Comment

Gomez, Wacha and Jansen are players to build around. ( I like closers with high K/9 ratios)
              Desmond, ramos, samardzija are players to hang on to.
              Areenado is the 7th I would take a risk on. Young position player.

Comment

Thanks very much, everyone. Pretty consistent feedback.

What do you think about the extensions? It's a reasonably deep 5x5 NL-only league.
                Carlos Gomez $2 -- extend to $12 through 2016? Seems a no-brainer.
                Ian Desmond $19 -- extend to $24 through 2015 or final year at $19? Tough call.
                Kenley Jansen $11 -- extend to $16 through 2015 or final year at $11? Also a tough call. Good closers go $20+ (Kimbrel went for $31 this year, but that was crazy).

Clearly more trade value if there's an extra year. But less money to spend this year too. Appreciate any thoughts.

Comment

I made my recommendations before reading the other posts.

I would keep 6 only:

Carlos Gomez $2 (extend 2 yrs to $12)
                  Ian Desmond $19 (dont extend)
                  Kenley Jansen $11 (dont extend)
                  Michael Wacha $5
                  Nolan Arenado $8
                  Jeff Samardzija $2 (extend 1 yr to $7)

I wouldnt keep Ramos, as non-elite fantasy catchers consistently underperform their salary. It's tempting to extend Jansen, but closers are too volatile. Wouldnt extend Desmond bec it cuts into his excess value and I dont completely trust his consistency either. Harvey is pretty problematic. Very tempting to take the $10 dead spot for a year and have him contribute in 2015. But too much uncertainty coming back from a major injury, even for a budding elite pitcher.

After reading the other posters' comments about Samard, I'm sticking to my guns. He's still a pretty sure bargain at $7.

Comment

Carlos Gomez to $12, hope he keeps it up, as $12 through 2016 gives you a really good trade chip to a dumper.

Ian Desmond $19, no extension. $24 through 2015 doesn't really give you much of an opportunity to trade to a dumper during 2014, so I'd stick with $19 through 2014 and pocket the extra $5.

Kenley Jansen $11 only because I don't trust closers over the long haul.

Michael Wacha $5

Nolan Arenado $8

Wilson Ramos $10 - tho I don't know about playing time in Washington, lost track, but he is young and hitting so would appear to have upside

Jeff Samardzija extend to $7 - take a chance on his really good K numbers.

Matt Harvey- depends on how/when people dump in your league - in my main league, I would extend to $10 through 2015 and then trade to a dumper early in 2014; you should get more than a $10 player in return.

Throw back Eaton/Gee/Hart

Comment

Working...
                    X