4. Mark Belanger (31) 4.9 1975 R
    5. Ozzie Smith+ (34) 4.7 1989 B
    6. Carlos Gomez (27) 4.6 2013 R
    7. Brooks Robinson+ (31) 4.5 1968 R
    8. Mark Belanger (24) 4.4 1968 R
    Frankie Frisch+ (28) 4.4 1927 B
    Manny Machado (20) 4.4 2013 R

Their calculation apparently changed in 2003:
    Based on Baseball Info Solutions defensive runs saved from 2003 on and total zone rating developed by Sean Smith of BaseballProjection.com previously
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Dayum.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

whatever one thinks of new metrics, it's nice to see that players whose skills were resoundingly obvious - Belanger, Brooks, and Ozzie among them - show up on these lists....
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

It should be pointed out that for all these individual "heroics", only two of the ten were on teams that made the post-season.

I'm not sure what DWar even is, but it strikes me as a tool the more sabermetric types use to justify a preconceived notion. Very infield-heavy.
        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
          It should be pointed out that for all these individual "heroics", only two of the ten were on teams that made the post-season.
          why would that even matter? that's like saying a good hitter or pitcher's season doesn't matter if they don't make the playoffs.

I'm not sure what DWar even is, but it strikes me as a tool the more sabermetric types use to justify a preconceived notion. Very infield-heavy.
          it's the defensive version of WAR - Wins Above Replacement. it's a measure of how good a player is defensively. you can argue about the specifics of it, but it's certainly better than fielding percentage.

it's weighted to infielders (specifically, *non-1B* infielders) because it's recognized that those positions are harder to field than the others. there's a whole body of literature on this point...
          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
          X