Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RHD's Latest Top 150 Roto Prospects (End-of-Season Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catcher prospects are very difficult to rate in a fantasy-oriented list like rhd's.

In the PONY league, with 40 starting catchers, that guy would be a serious prospect. In RJEL, with 18 starting catchers for 18 teams, he's a $1 guy. I doubt any other position has such sensitivity to common league parameters.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

rhd, where do you rank OF Randal Grichuk, traded from Angels to Cardinals today as part of Freese deal?

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
        rhd, where do you rank OF Randal Grichuk, traded from Angels to Cardinals today as part of Freese deal?
        Thanx for the response, James.

I consider Grichuk a mid-range prospect. He's got some power and a little speed, but is not selective at the plate. I'd say he's iffy for getting regular MLB playing time. He's not close to my Top 150. You'd have to be in a pretty deep league for him to be roto-relevant rt now.

Comment

A couple questions for you rhd:

1. I don't see Zunino on your list. Am I missing him? Who do you like better Zunino or D'Arnaud?
          2. Does Tavares take a hit with this latest trade?
          3. Does Castellenos get a bump with Fielder leaving?
          4. Lastly, I don't see him on your list, but what do you think of Cody Asche? He actually is from where I grew up (as is Mark Buerhle) so I have a little soft spot for him in my heart.
          拖裤子,
          放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

Comment

Thanx for the response, TraderMac.

1. Zunino exhausted his rookie-eligibility. I dont have a strong preference for either Zunino or D'Arnaud, but gun to my head, I'd take Zunino. That's because D'Arnaud has had trouble staying healthy and Zunino has shown more power.
            2. No change to Tavares' status. Noone will block him when he's ready. The Cards getting Bourjos just means that Tavares will start the year in minors unless something unexpected happens.
            3. Yeah, the likelihood for regular PT for Castellanos just went up, so he gets a little bump. Currently #15.
            4. Asche exhausted his eligibilty, but he wouldnt be on the list anyway unless he's going to be a starter, which I dont see as likely. Philly will probably sign some other overpriced aging veteran in decline to play 3B.

Comment

rhd--I know he's not eligible for this list, but how do you view Arenado? I've read some say he'll be a flop or a mediocre 3B at best. What do you see his ceiling as? Thanks.
              拖裤子,
              放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Trader Mac View Post
                rhd--I know he's not eligible for this list, but how do you view Arenado? I've read some say he'll be a flop or a mediocre 3B at best. What do you see his ceiling as? Thanks.
                Thanx for another response, Trader Mac.

I like Arenado. I dont think he'll be AS caliber, but I think he'll be at least solid-average. And I think the Rockies like his progress at 3B. I dont see anyone in their system challenging him seriously for that position. Needs to be more selective at the plate.

Comment

Gary Brown OF SF - can't hit righties, a bit of an issue. And he is getting old. But power+speed+was a first round pick+Giants don't seem to have much outfield depth+they added him to the 40-man roster.

Is he in your top 250?

Comment

Gary Brown OF SF - can't hit righties, a bit of an issue. And he is getting old. But power+speed+was a first round pick+Giants don't seem to have much outfield depth+they added him to the 40-man roster.

Is he in your top 250?
                    Thanx for another response, James.

Yes, he is in the top 200, mainly because he still might get a shot at an everyday job in SF.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                      Thanx for another response, James.

Yes, he is in the top 200, mainly because he still might get a shot at an everyday job in SF.
                      Thanks rhd.

I need to keep 3, cut 1, in NL-only league in which ~150 national league minor leaguers are owned, and their contracts only start when they hit the big leagues. None of the below four made your top 150 list (approximately 70 national leaguers were on your list).

Gary Brown
                      Brandon Nimmo
                      Aderlin Rodriguez
                      Jerry Sands

Who would you cut?

Comment

Thanks rhd.

I need to keep 3, cut 1, in NL-only league in which ~150 national league minor leaguers are owned, and their contracts only start when they hit the big leagues. None of the below four made your top 150 list (approximately 70 national leaguers were on your list).

Gary Brown
                        Brandon Nimmo
                        Aderlin Rodriguez
                        Jerry Sands

Who would you cut?
                        I dont see how Sands is still a minor leaguer, since he already has 221 MLB ABs, but I'd cut him. He had a horrible year in AAA in his age-26 season.

Comment

Hey rhd

This prospect, Billy Burns, was just traded into the American league. Upon review, he doesn't have much power but has a ton of speed and walks more than he strikes out. He finished up with a month in double A.

ab/Batting average/on base/walks:so - sb:cs for the 3 leagues since beginning of 2012
                          2a: 114/.325/.434/20:17 - 20-2
                          a+: 330/.312/.422/52:37 - 54-5
                          a: 398/.322/.432/65:68 - 38-9

Burns (nice name for a speedster) was 23 in 2013 but carries very good strike zone and speed. Do you think, down the road, Oakland might give him a chance ?

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
                            Hey rhd

This prospect, Billy Burns, was just traded into the American league. Upon review, he doesn't have much power but has a ton of speed and walks more than he strikes out. He finished up with a month in double A.

ab/Batting average/on base/walks:so - sb:cs for the 3 leagues since beginning of 2012
                            2a: 114/.325/.434/20:17 - 20-2
                            a+: 330/.312/.422/52:37 - 54-5
                            a: 398/.322/.432/65:68 - 38-9

Burns (nice name for a speedster) was 23 in 2013 but carries very good strike zone and speed. Do you think, down the road, Oakland might give him a chance ?
                            Thanx for the response, wannabegriffey.

Actually, Burns is currently #92 on my list. He's more of a mid-range prospect in real life, but he is interesting. AS you say, no power but great SB potential if he can get playing time. I think he profiles as being more of a 4th OFer, but I dont think there's too many CFers ahead of him on Oakland's depth chart and Crisp is getting old, altho they also signed Gentry. Actually, he's a better prospect than Gentry was. He could get some playing time.

Comment

and another prospect traded to the AL - Matt Davidson, to the pale hose. You had him at a respectable #58 on the list - I'd think there's a reasonable chance of him being the starting 3Bman. Sounds like your classic young power bat with a bit of a long swing, something that can cause trouble unless he can adjust to major league pitchers. The past three years in A+, AA, & AAA he hit .277, .261, then .280. He also seems to be able to take a walk, somthing that can help him in adjusting.

If he makes the opening roster what can we expect? .245-20-65 sound in the ballpark?
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                                and another prospect traded to the AL - Matt Davidson, to the pale hose. You had him at a respectable #58 on the list - I'd think there's a reasonable chance of him being the starting 3Bman. Sounds like your classic young power bat with a bit of a long swing, something that can cause trouble unless he can adjust to major league pitchers. The past three years in A+, AA, & AAA he hit .277, .261, then .280. He also seems to be able to take a walk, somthing that can help him in adjusting.

If he makes the opening roster what can we expect? .245-20-65 sound in the ballpark?
                                Thanx for the response, TranaGreg.

I have no idea what he'll do, but your numbers sound realistic. He gets a bump on my list for the time being since the starting 3B job does figure to be his to lose at this point.

Comment

Working...
                                X