Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RHD's Latest Top 150 Roto Prospects (End-of-Season Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    So what's the official word on the street about what happened to Hamilton last year? I thought my doubts were confirmed after his bad year in the minors but holy cow he lit it up in a small sample size in the bigs. Did he change his swing? Anything significant like that?
    Thanx for the response, EL D.

Dont know anything about a changed swing. As you see, he dropped some in my rankings. But he performed pretty much as I expected in the MLB SSS. As I commented in another post, I think he'll be more like Vince Coleman than Dee Gordon. He has to prove that he's a MLB regular, but looks like he'll be given a chance, pending how the Reds' manager-to-be feels. Whether Choo gets resigned could make a diff, but if it were me I wouldnt let the resigning of Choo prevent me from giving him a starting OF gig.

Comment

Great list as always - happy to see three of my guys in the top 56.

Was wondering what your thoughts were about Kyle Parker (unless I missed him, I didn't see him on the list). Last year went .288/.345/.492 with 23 homers, 74 RBIs. Also had 6 steals (of course he was caught 6 times, so I'm guessing speed is not a main attribute) at Tulsa. The year before he was .308/.415/.562 with 23 homers and 73 RBIs in high-A. Played 18 games at 1B last year, so possible replacement for Helton? Or maybe in the OF if they move CarGo?

Just wondering since I, obviously, own him...

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        So what's the official word on the street about what happened to Hamilton last year? I thought my doubts were confirmed after his bad year in the minors but holy cow he lit it up in a small sample size in the bigs. Did he change his swing? Anything significant like that?
        He had some decent swings against us here in Houston in the one game he started. He wasn't getting on base on dribblers. He hit this ball down the line into the left-field corner, for instance, and that was 93 mph coming off his bat.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I think Springer is way too high. I guess it's the proximity. I just don't see much difference between him and Polanco. I can't believe Polanco is all the way down at 15, but that's a hell of a top 14 and I'm not sure who I'd move down.

I can't see any way I'd ever take Giolito ahead of Stephenson. Stephenson seems way too low.

Comment

Love the work---use it every year. AL only 12 team--we have a max of 6 minors roster. I have to decide which 3 to keep as I have 3 first round picks. I currently own Addison Russell (definite keep), Jake Odorizzi, Mason Williams, Kaleb Cowart, DJ Davis and Slade Heathcott. I have them ranked in the order I thought they should be. Why the drop in value for Odorizzi? What did you see in DJ Davis' short-season play that moves him up so much?

Thanks in advance!
            Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
              Great list as always - happy to see three of my guys in the top 56.

Was wondering what your thoughts were about Kyle Parker (unless I missed him, I didn't see him on the list). Last year went .288/.345/.492 with 23 homers, 74 RBIs. Also had 6 steals (of course he was caught 6 times, so I'm guessing speed is not a main attribute) at Tulsa. The year before he was .308/.415/.562 with 23 homers and 73 RBIs in high-A. Played 18 games at 1B last year, so possible replacement for Helton? Or maybe in the OF if they move CarGo?

Just wondering since I, obviously, own him...

Thanks!
              Thanx for the response, umjewman,

I dont know exactly what to think of Parker. He puts up stats that are good (not great) every year (albeit in good hitting environments) and I've had him on the list before, but the industry opinion of him always seems to be lukewarm. He was #13 on BA's recent Texas League list, but it looks like a weak league this year. His scouting report says he started to figure things out offensively in the 2nd half but also was tried at 1B late in the season because of defensive questions at corner OF. He could get a shot in Colorado but he seems iffy for a regular MLB gig. He just outside my top 200 now so I've still got my eye on him.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                I think Springer is way too high. I guess it's the proximity. I just don't see much difference between him and Polanco. I can't believe Polanco is all the way down at 15, but that's a hell of a top 14 and I'm not sure who I'd move down.

I can't see any way I'd ever take Giolito ahead of Stephenson. Stephenson seems way too low.
                Thanx for the response, joncarlos.

Springer's power-speed combo is unique and he is closer to MLB than Polanco. Polanco at #15 is already pretty high. It is hard to move Polanco in front of anyone, altho I could move him in front of Hamilton, but Hamilton's pretty unique, too.

Both Giolito and Stephenson ae potential frontline starters. Giolito was in line to be the #1 overall pick before he got hurt. The reports are he's all the way back from the injury so I think of him as a #1 overall guy. I dont think of Stephenson the same way. But after checking some things, I agree that he was too low, so I moved him up some. But he's still below Giolito.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
                  Love the work---use it every year. AL only 12 team--we have a max of 6 minors roster. I have to decide which 3 to keep as I have 3 first round picks. I currently own Addison Russell (definite keep), Jake Odorizzi, Mason Williams, Kaleb Cowart, DJ Davis and Slade Heathcott. I have them ranked in the order I thought they should be. Why the drop in value for Odorizzi? What did you see in DJ Davis' short-season play that moves him up so much?

Thanks in advance!
                  Thanx for response, Grinch.

It's not that Odorizzi dropped, it's mostly that others moved ahead of him. I dont see much special about Odorizzi as a starter. Was at the back of BA's Top 100 last year, which usually means a pitcher is iffy for my list. Not clear whether he'll be in Tampa's rotation next year either, even if they let Price go.

Davis is intriguing and I probably have him too low now. He dropped because he had very mediocre stats this year, but BA gave him a strong endorsement ranking him #2 on the Appy League list. He has double plus speed and his rpt says he has more power than you'd expect from a speedy OFer. Could be a good power-speed guy.

I'm really losing faith in Williams, altho BA keeps ranking him. Heathcott had a mediocre year. I dont know what to make of Cowart. He's always been a highly rated hitter, but his season was dismal.

Russell, Davis and Odorizzi are definitely the ones I'd keep. Supposed to be a strong draft next year, so you're likely to get some good guys w your picks.

Comment

Nice to see JP Crawford on the list. He's somewhere in 1-3 in the phillies system among the knowledgeable fans at this point.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                      Nice to see JP Crawford on the list. He's somewhere in 1-3 in the phillies system among the knowledgeable fans at this point.
                      Thanx for the response, heyelander.

What are Phillies fans saying about Quinn after his lousy year? How Severino Gonzalez?

Comment

I hate the offseason.........Jonesing for RHD's 2014 list........
                        Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
                          I hate the offseason.........Jonesing for RHD's 2014 list........
                          There is no baseball offseason!

Comment

"Rumors that Phillies shortstop prospect Roman Quinn had injured himself while running were confirmed today, as per Phillies beat writer Dennis Deitch (among others) reported that he suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon."

Reports: Phillies Prospect Roman Candle Quinn Has Ruptured His Achilles. Another year will go by before anything moderately exciting will happen on the basepaths.
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

so with Mauer moving to 1B does Pinto now crack the 150 list?
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                                so with Mauer moving to 1B does Pinto now crack the 150 list?
                                Thanx for your response, Tranagreg.

Pinto still doesnt make the list. Unclear whether he is the starting catcher, as Minny may sign a FA. Even if he does get the starter gig, I still may not put him on, as he may not be anything special offensively.

Comment

Working...
                                X