Cubs Fire Sveum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubs Fire Sveum

can we say hello to new Cubs manager Joe Girardi? He would have to change his number to 3, but I think he's the clear choice.

not sure what makes him such a clear choice, but he'd probably be happy to get off the titanic.
    ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
      not sure what makes him such a clear choice, but he'd probably be happy to get off the titanic.
      He (and his wife) are from the Chicago area, went to college in Chicago, played for the Cubs (twice) and now is a free agent as a manager. And yeah, there's always the drama that is the Yankees.

Comment

Does Girardi take orders from management on who to play and what to do? I have a feeling that Cubs organization would prefer a puppet.

Comment

Give a guy little to nothing to work with, then can him when he doesn't accomplish anything. Really sad, especially when a guy like Gardenhire continues to get extensions, along with his miserable coaching staff...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            Give a guy little to nothing to work with, then can him when he doesn't accomplish anything. Really sad, especially when a guy like Gardenhire continues to get extensions, along with his miserable coaching staff...
            Gardy is in the same situation, trying to win with a decidedly substandard talent pool. Whoever has been in charge of pitching development for Minnesota hasn't accomplished much of anything, regardless of how much he's been given with which to work.

As for Girardi moving to the Cubs, it would be interesting. I wonder if he can handle Theo taking the credit in good times while handing the heat to the manager in bad times. One thing Girardi has established is that he can at least produce a winning record with less talent than most.
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Theo (and Sveum) both said that it wasn't the losing, it was the failure of the young players to develop. Theo said that he wants to hire someone who will focus on player development. I'm not sure if Girardi is that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                Theo (and Sveum) both said that it wasn't the losing, it was the failure of the young players to develop. Theo said that he wants to hire someone who will focus on player development. I'm not sure if Girardi is that guy.
                :coughjobacough: :coughhughescough:

he did a pretty good job with the marlins before he went to the dark side, though.

kc

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                  One thing Girardi has established is that he can at least produce a winning record with less talent than most.
                  lol. no, he's proven he can produce a winning record with a $220,000,000 payroll. so could a mop.

kc

Comment

lol. no, he's proven he can produce a winning record with a $220,000,000 payroll. so could a mop.
                    So long as it was not a Yankee mop. Then you takes your chances.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

It's not a question of how he did with the Yankees when they were at full strength; you're right, almost anyone could win with that roster. Well, almost anyone except maybe Bobby Valentine. Girardi did OK with the Marlins IIRC, and he kept the Yankees competitive this year despite the injuries and the POS replacements he was given on the roster.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                      -- William James

Comment

Sveum simply doesn't want to make waves on the way out. Theo is either lying or stupid, and stupid isn't it here. If young players = Starlin Castro, then, yes, Sveum failed. But I doubt much of anyone is going to have success with someone with the baseball IQ of Dante Bichette. A number of youg players made progress or consolidated improvements from last year - W. Castillo, Junior Lake, T. Wood, J. Arrieta.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          Sveum simply doesn't want to make waves on the way out. Theo is either lying or stupid, and stupid isn't it here. If young players = Starlin Castro, then, yes, Sveum failed. But I doubt much of anyone is going to have success with someone with the baseball IQ of Dante Bichette. A number of youg players made progress or consolidated improvements from last year - W. Castillo, Junior Lake, T. Wood, J. Arrieta.
                          Theo certainly isn't stupid, but sometimes I don't think he's as smart as he and the media portray him to be.

That said--Sveum never stood a chance. I don't think he's that good a manager, but with the collection of spare parts he was given with which to work, we'll likely never know. He knew that going in, Theo was honest at least in saying that the goal was not to win now, and things went about as expected. Sveum isn't saying much about it, because it could hurt his chances of getting another managerial gig. He'll land on his feet somewhere as a roving instructor, as a minor league manager, as one of those "special assistant to the GM" types.

I hope Theo is more patient with his next manager, because it's STILL going to be a while before this team is consistently competitive again. It's not because Theo and Hoyer are doing anything wrong; it's that they started out with a team so bereft of talent. It may take 3-4 years more to get where they need to go.

"baseball IQ of Dante Bichette"--That's cold, chance. Funny, but cold.

-- William James

Comment

Rumor has it they're interested in AJ Hinch and Brad Ausmus.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              If young players = Starlin Castro, then, yes, Sveum failed. But I doubt much of anyone is going to have success with someone with the baseball IQ of Dante Bichette. A number of youg players made progress or consolidated improvements from last year - W. Castillo, Junior Lake, T. Wood, J. Arrieta.
                              Excellent point. There's still a chance that they are telling the truth, and that for Theo, Young players = the guys they thought would be cornerstones on a future team (Castro and Rizzo) and both regressed. It is conceivable to me that Theo told Sveum at the start of the year "Hey, I don't care about wins and losses this year. What I do care about is developing a team around Castro and Rizzo." Plus Samardzija, a possible ace, got worse and became a bit of a malcontent as the year progressed.

I'd still guess that overall Sveum was fired b/c of more of a personality or philosophy clash.

Comment

Working...
                              X