Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    Tell us about your League winning team.

J
    Well, the year was 2007 and I had traded for a $15 Miguel Cabrera, a $5 Prince Fielder and already had a $32 Chase Utley. I then traded, against RJ advice, for a $51 Albert Pujols before the auction and acquired a $42 Carlos Lee at the auction (back when he was still a beast).

I ran away with the league, leading for every week except the first week (most of the time by as much as 15 points), although there was a dicey moment in mid-August when someone pulled within 0.5 point before I finally pulled ahead.

It's been a long, dry spell since then. I assume you're looking for something more 2013?

Comment

Would if I could
      Wouldn't if I couldn't
      Can't
      Won't
      Nothing to tell in quite a few years
      Will keep donating/trying
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

I won my league this year with what I thought wasnt a very good team and I only made a few fairly minor dump deals. I had a fair amount of injuries but somehow I was the best of a bad bunch I guess. I feel that my team next year will be better.
        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

My H2H team was 10th of 16 in June. We went an unholy roll through the end of July and into August to get into the playoff picture, then swooned in September. Started the playoffs with two blowouts, but had a cliff hanger in the finals. It came down to the late games on Sunday, first SB wins. Rutledge won it for me. I picked him off WW because they were shutting Segura down early.

The other finalis set a record for best record and biggest margin in the regular season.

Key in season moves:

Traded Votto for McCutchen
          Bought low on Cole Hamels
          Picked up Leonys Martin off WW

J
          Last edited by onejayhawk; 09-30-2013, 03:53 PM.
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

12-team mixed auction 5x5 (ob & slug replacing ba & hr), 3rd title in 4 years, $1200 pay out. Year prior had acquired Goldscmidt, Kipnis, Bautista, and Strasberg in dump deals. Traded Jay and A Reed for Darvish in the off-season. Focused on hitting at the auction, got Beltre, Holliday and J Upton for $97. Didn't pay double-digits for any Ps in auction, $5 total on my 3 RPs. This is pretyy much my strategy every year.

Key auction buys: Beltre 29, Holliday 31, Upton 37, Phillips 18, Cuddyer 6, Puig 6, Bailey 9, Jansen 1.

Key FAAB pick-ups: Liriano, Archer, Castro, Cingrani, Villar, Venable, Mujica, Brothers.

Key trade acquisitions: Felix and Bumgarner (Puig, Cingrani & Niese), Greinke (for Brothers)

Biggest mistake: bid $2 on Rajai Davis assuming the owner who nominated him would go $3. He didn't, and instead outbid me on Marte because I only had $5 left. He says he wouldn't have bid on him had he gotten Davis. If he was being honest, I would have had Marte for a buck. I compounded the problem by dropping Davis early on since he wasn't playing every day. Missing out on Marte's (and Davis') SBs cost me 3 points and I still ended up with 55 of a possible 60 offensive points.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

10 team AL Finished 2nd. Finally back in the money after winning the league in 2001/2005. Won $62.50 which covers the $50 league fee.

14 team NL H2H finished 4th. Dropped to third on the last day, 0.5 out of first (top 2 got a bye). Won the quarter final, lost in the semis, lost in the 3rd place week. Won $25 which is pure profit as I took over the team for a year and took over a vacated franchise for next.

AFA team finished 7/12.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
              Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
              Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I think these 2 emails I posted on the league board of our 12 team AL only league should sum it up.

Miracle Marauders Win
                Posted by Meek Mangement on 9/30/2013 11:07 PM
                It was a dark and Bleary Sunday when Meek owner Del shortly after making some trades to give himself and outside chance to compete walk into Rittman Park . Owner Josh otherwise know as Jackass Hanzie taunted Mild manor Del. I can still feel the sting " Your team sucks, you are going down you are a loser" SAdly in the next couple of Days when the Marauders fell to 70 points why Team Jackass was at 89 and The Smug Dawgs who couldn't be bothered to make a trade reached 94 Poor Quiet del was inclined to believe it. As he Sat alone in his Living room with no furniture in his boxers. A voice came to him sounding a lot like chink. Trade him and you will win. What ? del said. Trade Him you will win. So I did.

A few weeks later my team had climbed into third - Now sitting in my kitchen (in my Boxer the voice return - Trade with Josh and you will win. Del Argued But he is ahead of me if I give him a closer he will gain points. Trade with Josh and his team will quit is what the voice said. But what about Pete . Pete is dead all the voice said all he had to do was Make 1 dump trade and the League would be over he didn;t he is toast. So Del did.

And for the record Chink would like to say::::
                MEEKS WIN!!!! MEEKS WIN!!!!! HURRY HURRY HURRY THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE WOOOORRRRLLLLLDDDDDD!!!!! HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW HANZIE BOY!!!!!!!

seriously - it was an unbelievable ride when I made the trades I only hope to get third . After all the trading was done I thought Josh would win Lucky for me hiss team turned out to be Injury prone. I never thought I would catch Pete either but as I told Steve it has just been the Perfect Storm. Sweet Victory it was. Thanks chink

Posted by Newol news on 9/30/2013 10:23 PM
                Another year down - Some great races and great stories.

First congratulations to Steve for going over the 1000 inning mark - baby steps Steve Baby steps

Does it seem like Dan and Mike are the new Bo and chink show.

Speaking of Mike if you have a bad team and your not going to make any dump Trades so you won't be the next Assmonkey then shouldn't you not finish Last - just sayin - esp since your favorite team had 90 wins.

tho I know brock didn't care it would have been nice to see him be an Assmonkey - tho I heard he would have called his team "Josh can Kiss My Assmonkey"

I heard there was a Mob Scene of disgruntled fans down at the Dawg Bowl - They had hundreds of Justin Smoak Action Figures that they hung in effigy all around the stadium. On his figure is the sign with the saying. Where there is Smoak There should be trading DAMMIT. Also a Group of older ladies called Cougar's of the Dawg Pound marched with signs "We like the young boys too Pete but you can trade 1 of them"

Josh promised Jill that he would trade only for Guys that had his toughness, fortitude and was in the same shape of him and by god he did. Thanks Jill
                Cory Fans have suddenly turned into the 1970 Indians fan Waiting on that first title.

Dan is a little disappointed not being able to retain his Assmonkey title. Tho he made a nice run at Back to Back

Raul son said F u dad for not Picking me

I still waiting for chuck to answer my trade offer?

Maybe Joe should quit smokin

And I haven't figure out Jc Team yet. I knew it wasn't that good when it was in first for the first third but then he dumps but his team goes up. Almost like he has some kind of higher help!!! (He is a Pastor)
                Last edited by hacko; 10-01-2013, 01:20 AM.

Comment

I traded Matt Moore and Jason Kipnis, both $5 heading into option years to secure a league title this year. Next year will suck, but I just bought my wife a new laptop and upgraded my kids' tower with my winnings. Worth it

Comment

I won both leagues, my ESPN fun league and my long time local keeper league.

In the keeper league, it was a very good lesson in "don't panic in April". I was in last place on April 30th and into May. Then I made some trades that turned my season around (Holland for Bonofacio, Leonys Martin for Ruiz, Braun for Shields, Donaldson off the waiver wire).

Thanks to everyone on the site for their insight for another successful year). I've won the keeper league 2 out of 3 years and 4 out of 6 and I owe a lot to this site...

Comment

BACK TO BACK CHAMPIONSHIPS! in my home town league which is 14 team mixed 5x5 (with madducks and Mag7).

Madducks led pretty much all year until the last three weeks or so when my pitching was unbelievably good and it led me to a 4.5 point win. Ubaldo was phenomenal.

And i have a great set of keepers going for the the three-peat in Trout, Craig, Freeman, Segura, Rios, MadBum and Anibal Sanchez
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Finished 2nd in my longtime 16-tm redraft, still took home $1,100.
                        Finished 3rd in RJEL and 2nd in the 3-year standings.
                        Won my division in Pete's 16-tm HTH, but got KO'd in the first round.

Didn't win any, but still a very profitable and enjoyable year.

Comment

Won my local league, 12 team, highly competitive. It's my 4th title overall. ('05, '10, '12, '13)

I have a little winner's remorse though as I passed my good friend on Sunday to squeak out the victory. I have 4 titles, he has zero. He has finished 2nd place only twice ('05, '13). Both times he lost to me. He is really down in the dumps right now. It's like I stole his girlfriend in junior high.
                          Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                            Won my local league, 12 team, highly competitive. It's my 4th title overall. ('05, '10, '12, '13)

I have a little winner's remorse though as I passed my good friend on Sunday to squeak out the victory. I have 4 titles, he has zero. He has finished 2nd place only twice ('05, '13). Both times he lost to me. He is really down in the dumps right now. It's like I stole his girlfriend in junior high.

I take it back. They are all being dinks now so I don't feel bad. I'll go for back-to-back-to-back in 2014.
                            Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Working...
                            X