Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official scorer changes Rivera's save to a win

Per Rotoworld:
    Mariano Rivera was credited with the victory Thursday after pitching a scoreless ninth as the Yankees beat the Orioles 6-5.
    Rivera thought he was coming in for the save in the game, but the official scorer threw a changeup, giving him the win instead. That's because David Robertson, who would have been in line for the victory, gave up three runs in the eighth, rendering him ineffective. It was the correct call to deny Robertson the win, but it was still surprising to see a save taken off the board for Rivera. He'd probably prefer the save to the win.
    There will be leagues that this will change the winner. Anyone in one that it may?
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

I am not sure this is going to go away. Robertson worked a whole inning, which means that he didn't meet the definition of "brief and ineffective." By the letter of the rules he should get the win. I don't know if MLB will care enough to change it but this could be an issue for a few days.

Comment

Here you go (emphasis mine):

The official scorer shall not credit as the winning pitcher a relief pitcher who is ineffective in a brief appearance, when at least one succeeding relief pitcher pitches effectively in helping his team maintain its lead. In such a case, the official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher the succeeding relief pitcher who was most effective, in the judgment of the official scorer.

Rule 10.17(c) Comment: The official scorer generally should, but is not required to, consider the appearance of a relief pitcher to be ineffective and brief if such relief pitcher pitches less than one inning and allows two or more earned runs to score (even if such runs are charged to a previous pitcher). Rule 10.17(b) Comment provides guidance on choosing the winning pitcher from among several succeeding relief pitchers.

Comment

That loss puts the Orioles at 16-27 in one-run games this season which is the worst mark in the majors. This comes a year after being 29-9 in those games and being the best team ever.

Baseball is awesome

Comment

I am 1.5 points out of first and trail that guy by 2 saves. Usually I applaud scorekeepers who make decisions like this. Robertson gets a win for pitching like that? But now I don't need wins I need saves. Fire the scorekeeper!!!

Comment

Working...
          X