Wladimir Balentien going for Japanese HR record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wladimir Balentien going for Japanese HR record

Find all the latest MLB news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

check out his HR last night - holy backspin, Batman!

He didn't chase a ball out of the strike zone, did he? Holy cow!
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

It's gotta suck to be a Japanese baseball fan and see the revered HR record tied and/or broken by some former MLB shlub. Other former MLB shlubs Alex Cabrera and Tuffy Rhodes both are tied with the great Sadaharu Oh with 54 HRs.

Comment

In the past, Japanese pitchers have "pitched around" gaijin hitters trying to break Oh's record....
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
          In the past, Japanese pitchers have "pitched around" gaijin hitters trying to break Oh's record....
          Some irony in this is that Oh is only half Japanese himself. I believe that at the time this meant that he could not be a Japanese citizen. So he was sort of a "gaijin" himself.

Comment

I thought of that, but I read somewhere that he has 23 games left. Someone is going to leave one in his hitting zone (which appears to be anything his bat can reach), he's going to jack one, and that poor pitcher is going to lose a lot of face.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
              Some irony in this is that Oh is only half Japanese himself. I believe that at the time this meant that he could not be a Japanese citizen. So he was sort of a "gaijin" himself.
              the other half is Okinawian (sp?), right....it's like us claiming people with one parent from Hawaii aren't american....but that's Japan for you
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

the other half is Okinawian (sp?), right....it's like us claiming people with one parent from Hawaii aren't american....but that's Japan for you
                Okinawan. Japan made a huge deal out of regaining sovereignty over Okinawa after the US took it over at the end of World War II, but they treat Okinawans the way much of the US treated its black citizens for years (and some still do), like dirt, unfit to even walk behind "real" Japanese.

The same thing happens here. I've had people tell me that I'm not really German because my father wasn't of German extraction--even though my mother was BORN in Germany to a family that had lived there for over 200 years. Some people have questioned my American status because my mother is "only" a naturalized citizen, not a native. I think some insecure people look for any reason to exclude others and thereby make themselves seem better.

-- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                  I think most people look for any reason to exclude others and thereby make themselves seem better.
                  Fixed. Sad but true IMO.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Anyway, getting back to the subject--Good luck to Balentien. I never felt like he got a real chance in the majors here, that he was dismissed as a AAAA slugger only. I hope he doesn't get the Hank Greenberg treatment in his quest to break the record.

-- William James

Comment

He's actually half-Taiwanese.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                        He's actually half-Taiwanese.
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadaharu_Oh
                        Right, half Chinese.

Another famous Japan League record holder is only half-Japanese. Sachio Kinugasa, who holds the consecutive games record, had an African-American father.

Comment

....it's like us claiming people with one parent from Hawaii aren't american....
                          .....Obama-Confused-copy-300x248.jpg
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Balentien with bomb #55 last night. From Rotoworld--

"Wladimir Balentien tied the single-season Japanese single-season home run record by corking No. 55 on Wednesday.
                            He equaled the feat previously accomplished by three players: Sadaharu Oh in 1964, Tuffy Rhodes in 2001 and Alex Cabrera in 2002. Balentien, who played for the Reds and Mariners, hit 31 homers in each of the past two seasons for the Yakult Swallows. He has 21 games left to break one of Japan's most fabled records."

"Corking"? Is someone doing the saying-without-saying-it-directly bit? Maybe trying to cast a shadow on the gaijin's upcoming record-breaker?

-- William James

Comment

The sooner the world stops caring about a persons place of birth, and the place his parents were born, the better off we'll all be. The only thing less relevant about who a person is than where is mom happened to be physically located when she gave birth is where a person's mom and dad were physically located when they were born.

Comment

Working...
                              X