Shouldn't the A's add a bat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shouldn't the A's add a bat?

I'm just saying. All these guys on waivers. You're 2 games out. Do something already.

/rant

O's are blocking everyone above them right now on claims

Comment

So if they make the claim, but can't work out a deal, no one else gets a shot at the guy?

Comment

wasn't there a thread on this in Aug 2012 ... Aug 2011 ... Aug 2010 ...
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          wasn't there a thread on this in Aug 2012 ... Aug 2011 ... Aug 2010 ...
          I'd guess no. At this point in 2011, they were 60-76. In 2010, 65-66.

And at this point in 2012, they were 4 games back, and despite going 37-15 in July and August, I think most everyone was just waiting for the collapse — and the run was so improbable that one bat wasn't going to change things. Besides, what idiot would mess with that chemistry?

So, no. Probably not.

Comment

damn statistics.

I guess it just feels that way.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefe View Post
              So if they make the claim, but can't work out a deal, no one else gets a shot at the guy?
              Correct.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

As much as I think Billy Beane is overrated and in love with his own media image, I can't argue with what he and his manager have done last year and this year with the players they have. He probably looked at what was available to him after Baltimore blocked most waiver claims, what he'd have to pay, and said, "We're OK."
                Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                  As much as I think Billy Beane is overrated and in love with his own media image, I can't argue with what he and his manager have done last year and this year with the players they have. He probably looked at what was available to him after Baltimore blocked most waiver claims, what he'd have to pay, and said, "We're OK."
                  A logical conclusion. Maybe I get too emotional about these things. ;]

Comment

Teams who put players on trade waivers don't necessarily want to move them in a trade. In fact, most of the time they don't. But there is no harm in putting them through waivers anyway to see what happens. If they clear waivers, then you're free to trade them to anyone. If they don't clear waivers, at least you know which teams have interest in acquiring them, even if you don't intend to trade them. I think everyone here knows that, but you guys don't realize how many names go through trade waivers in the month of August. It's insane. More names go across trade waivers in one month than go through outright or unconditional release waivers in a whole year.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

They did call up/ add Mike Choice off the farm

Comment

Working...
                      X