Innings Limit Questions for Important Playoff Mathcup--Ferandez and Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Innings Limit Questions for Important Playoff Mathcup--Ferandez and Miller

My league is a 16 team h2h points league. Our playoffs start this week. I have Jose Fernandez and Shelby Miller in my rotation. They are two of my best options this week, but a zero from either would be devastating. I've read rumors that both or either will have starts skipped soon to allow them to pitch deeper into the year. Anyone read anything more definite? Would you risk starting both of these guys next week? My alternatives are Dan Haren and Lance Lynn. I am considering starting them both over the rookie duo, but don't want to needlessly bench superior talents.

I'd go with the sure starts at this point...Haren has been pitching pretty well in his last few starts, and Fernandez isn't in jeapordy yet, from what I've heard.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

i would not only google search those guys and have "innings limit" in the search, I would also set up a google alert for same AND find the beat guys for STL and MIA and follow them on Twitter ASAP
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I can't seem to find anything on Fernandez or Miller missing a start anytime soon, but I'm still concerned. Would you all advice benching both, and starting a RP in one of their spots? I have Uehera, Brothers, and Melancon. I don't typically start RPs in my Util P spots, because our point structure rewards big games by SPs a lot, but an RP does outscore many one start SP in a good week--2-3 clean saves will be better than one solid QS. Also, Rotoworld have Alex Wood with one start, but ESPN has him with two, so he may be a good option as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          I can't seem to find anything on Fernandez or Miller missing a start anytime soon, but I'm still concerned. Would you all advice benching both, and starting a RP in one of their spots? I have Uehera, Brothers, and Melancon. I don't typically start RPs in my Util P spots, because our point structure rewards big games by SPs a lot, but an RP does outscore many one start SP in a good week--2-3 clean saves will be better than one solid QS. Also, Rotoworld have Alex Wood with one start, but ESPN has him with two, so he may be a good option as well.
          You need to look a little harder... This is from the 19th, so it's at least one start old...

Jose Fernandez is expected to be shut down around 170 innings.
          Fernandez is currently at 139 2/3 innings, so he's on pace to be shut down during the first week of September. The 21-year-old right-hander has posted a dominant 2.45 ERA and 1.02 WHIP through 23 starts this season. Aug 19 - 3:52 PM
          Source: Marlins.mlb.com
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Yes, I have seen many things about 170 innings. He is not there yet. By no time soon, I meant this week, basically, as that is all I care about right now (I should have been clearer about that). BTW, the first week of Sept is not an accurate estimate based on his current innings total. If they just let him keep making his scheduled starts, he should be able to make it until his Sept 10 start. But indications are that they may skip a start to let him go longer into the season. It makes sense for them to skip a road start, like the one this week in Atlanta.

Comment

I recall reading a report that Shelby Miller is on a 180 regular season IP limit but also read that Matheny wanted to keep riding him. Miller is averaging less than 6 IP per start and he has 140 IP to date, with just 6 starts remaining. So even with a 180 IP limit (40 IP left to pitch across 6 starts), I'll guess that you'll be fine, he won't be limited and that instead we'll continue to see him pitching only 6-7 innings when he's pitching well.

Comment

I sat them both. I'm sure they will both go for CGSHOs now. The skipping starts nonsense is much worse than the inning cap idea from my perspective. I'll end up sitting them throughout the playoffs, because I'll never know when they will be skipped.

Comment

Working...
                X