Made a couple of massive dump trades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made a couple of massive dump trades

I finally gave up in my 12-team 5x5 mixed keeper league. I spent most of the year in 2nd-3rd, but I've just been slipping slowly but steadily. At the moment I find myself in 6th and 11.5 pts out of 3rd (final money spot). With our trade deadline looming this Sunday, I made a deal last night and another this afternoon.

First trade...I gave up Cuddyer, LMartin, ASanchez, AReed, Janssen in return for Gomez, Jennings, Torres, Ross. The key pieces for me were Gomez and Jennings. The other two were just throw-ins.
    Second trade...I gave up Lucroy, Trumbo, Venable, Rizzo, Shields, Ryu in return for CDavis, Hundley, Morrison, EYoung, Scherzer, and ERamirez. Davis and Scherzer were the pieces I was chasing.

We have 8-man keeper lists...just straight up. No salaries, no rounds. With these two trades, my keeper list next year will be:
    1B CDavis
    2B JAltuve
    SS Tulo
    OF CarGo
    OF Gomez
    OF Jennings or Heyward
    SP Bumgarner
    SP Scherzer

Personally, I really like that keeper list. The tough choice will be Jennings or Heyward. I really like Jennings next year (could he have that famed age 27 season?), but deciding between him and Heyward will be interesting.

I gave up a ton, but the point was to better my keeper list next year. I think I did that.

Those seem like perfectly reasonable dump trades and ones that should help you out big time next year. I can see that your first trade partner really needed saves, but I'm not sure I see why your second trade partner made that deal. I see that he gets two quality starters while giving up one, but the other upgrades seem pretty minor, especially when you consider the downgrade from Davis to Trumbo. Well done!

Comment

I love deal 2 - it borders on robbery. But on your keepers...no way I'd keep Altuve. In a 12-teamer, he's just not that valuable. No counting stats outside of steals, and his BA is good but not great.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        I love deal 2 - it borders on robbery. But on your keepers...no way I'd keep Altuve. In a 12-teamer, he's just not that valuable. No counting stats outside of steals, and his BA is good but not great.
        Yeah, WTF was that guy thinking trading Davis & Scherzer?

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          To me, he's worth keeping. He's going to come close to 40 SBs this year with a good BA, and he would undoubtedly be the best 2B available in our draft. I don't believe 2B is a very deep position, and if Altuve can get me a .280-.290 BA wit 35-40 SBs, he's worth keeping. Guess I could keep Heyward and Jennings, however. Would be tough to cut Altuve loose, but these two trades will probably drop me to 7th or 8th. Would leave me in decent position to pick him back up.

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          No kidding. I have to imagine that the league is pretty irate over that deal.
          If they feel about it like you guys, they're probably pretty happy, LOL...at least the contenders for 2nd-3rd anyway (1st place team is WAAAAYYY out front). Yes it gives me a good keeper list, but they'll probably count on me screwing up my draft like I did this year .
          Last edited by Flyman; 08-15-2013, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X