2013, year of the Japanese pitcher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013, year of the Japanese pitcher?

There are eight Japanese-born players who have appeared in MLB games this year.

Three haven't had many innings, 23.1 IP combined:
    Kyuji Fujikawa
    Hideki Okajima
    Hisanori Takahashi

The other five have been terrific:
    Yu Darvish
    Hisashi Iwakuma
    Hiroki Kuroda
    Junichi Tazawa
    Koji Uehara

If you combine the stats for all eight, you get (my sums, based on B-R):
    640.2 IP, 41-22, 14 saves, 2.58 ERA, 1.009 WHIP, 605 Ks

Some GMs must be seeing this, wonder what the next Japanese pitching import will get?
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

It depends on the pitcher. I don't think anyone elite is in the pipeline. Is there someone that should be on my radar?

Comment

Given what Darvish cost, about half of them.

I thought Kuroda was Korean for some reason.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        It depends on the pitcher. I don't think anyone elite is in the pipeline. Is there someone that should be on my radar?
        Well, there's a high school kid who has apparently hit 98 mph while pitching like Joe McGinnity: link

But I don't know that it has to be an "elite" pitcher. Seattle got Iwakuma cheap, Kuroda and Uehara are both 38 years old. Perhaps what is consistent is very good control?
        Last edited by Controller Jacobs; 08-13-2013, 07:09 PM.
        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

The guy with the best pitching in my local league drafted Darvish, Kuroda, and Iwakuma. He paid good money for Darvish and Kuroda at our auction. Then, he somehow sneaked Iwakuma past all 13 of us for $5. Then he added free agent Uehara ($1) when Hanrahan got injured. He's 1st in era & whip, 2nd in k's, 3rd in wins, 5th in saves, but 4th overall because his hitting is just mediocre.

I was happy to draft Fujikawa for $2. But, you know how that turned out.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
          X