I Went ALL IN--HDID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Went ALL IN--HDID?

For those of you who hate dumping, our trade deadline tonight is a great reason why. We had a tremendous arms raise, where the top 4 teams, mine included, mortgaged our futures for a shot at the title. I probably gave and got the most. I'm wondering if I went overboard. What do you think?

Perimeters, 16 team mixed league, $400 cap, 15 keepers. Keeper start at $5, then are due for extension two years after their call up, so Profar and Wheeler will be $5 next year, then extended. Extensions are only $4 per year, so with our cap and inflation, elite guys often get extended to our max, 6 years and $25, meaning the top end players are under team control for up to 8 years.

I gave:

J. Profar $5
    Z. Wheeler $5
    C. Carter $5 (due for extension)
    Ryan Braun $25L2 (next year is his last year)
    Ryan Zimmerman $25L1 (last year--given to a contender in a deal, because I had too many 3bman after getting Beltre and Cabrera)
    A trio of mid-tier prospects. No one elite (Eduardo Rodriguez, Nick Kingham, and DJ Peterson--all solid, but replaceable guys)

I got back:

Miguel Cabrera 80L1 (last year)
    Adrian Beltre 26L1 (last year)
    Lance Lynn $5 (due for extension)
    Nick Swisher $11L1 (last year)
    Corey Kluber $7 (he was a pick up, can be kept for $7 next year; borderline keeper)
    I got a prospect back with Kluber for Zimmerman deal--A. Alcantara. It was the best last minute deal I could get for a guy I didn't need in Zimmerman.

Obviously, the two big long term pieces I gave are Profar and Wheeler. I also gave up one year of a cheap Braun, which hurt, but he was taking up a bench spot for me this year, as was Profar, who wasn't helping me. I improved my corners from Carter and Zimmerman to Cabrera and Beltre, which is huge, but I gave many cheap years of Profar and Wheeler to do it, which will be painful to bear if Cabrera's ab injury lingers and this doesn't get me the title. I ended up getting some long term value back in Lynn, which was nice, because he is better for me now than Wheeler, and long term will help mitigate Wheeler's loss. Kluber and Swisher give me needed depth, but neither are players I am relying on, barring injury.

I know to some, this will seem like a slam dunk win for me, but the nature of our keeper system (high cap, low extension price, lots of keepers) makes young keepers more valuable than in most leagues, so guys on the level of Profar and Wheeler often get big returns. In that context, did I still do well? No other deadline deals involved major league talent of the level I gave, but rivals did trade elite prospects like Archie Bradley and Mark Appel in deals to improve. But I improved the most, I think, assuming Cabrera is healthy. That was my biggest concern in pulling the trigger to trade Profar and Wheeler.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 08-04-2013, 11:42 PM.

I think you did very well. You get two major sticks, a quality P who's extendable, and a couple more serviceable pieces. I'd rather have an extendable Lynn than Wheeler; Lynn's proven and Wheeler isn't. Giving up Profar hurts, but you have to give up something awfully good to get quality like MCab and Beltre back. Dumping Zim is a brilliant move - his shoulder is just wrecked. Why Washington continues to let him play is baffling to me. The poor guy can hardly lift his arm to head level.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
    X