Haren for Gregg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haren for Gregg

I went from a dearth to a surplus of RPs with Uehera, Melancon, Brothers, and Gregg. I have several young arms that will hit inning limits at some point, so I need starting pitching for down the road. A rival who needs a closer will swap Haren for Gregg. Haren has been horrid, but better lately--it seems like he has figured something out. Gregg kept his job with the deadline passing, but still might get traded out of his job at some point. I think I should do it, but I also worry about helping a guy who is neck and neck with me. Is this a worthwhile swap?

Gregg has been awful lately. I don't see him being worth more than another five saves tops, and probably less than that. And Haren has been something approaching decent lately. I would do it without a second thought.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

ON the face of it, I'd do the deal as well. But let's assume Gregg's run of good luck continues through the end of the year and he's a passable low-level closer the rest of the way. How many points does your trade partner gain in that case?
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        ON the face of it, I'd do the deal as well. But let's assume Gregg's run of good luck continues through the end of the year and he's a passable low-level closer the rest of the way. How many points does your trade partner gain in that case?
        This is actually a h2h points league. He and I are battling for one of 2 playoff spots in our 16 team league (two conferences, 2 spots each conference, and the other spot is all but locked up). Gregg would replace the combo of Putz and David Hernandez for him. Gregg may not do much to help him, but our records are even right now, and getting that playoff spot means making the money and having a shot at the title. But, if edge him out for the playoffs, I will need Haren, because Jose Fernandez and Shleby Miller, who have helped carry me this far, will likely be benched right when I need them most. I also have Zach Wheeler, who will likely hit an inning limit as well, unless that 6 man rotation keeps him in the whole year.

Comment

I'd do the deal. I don't see Gregg as much of an upgrade for him, and if Haren gets remotely straightened out, he'll be a big asset for you.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            I'd do the deal. I don't see Gregg as much of an upgrade for him, and if Haren gets remotely straightened out, he'll be a big asset for you.
            I pulled the trigger right before Haren started rolling with his start today. He sure does look better than he has all year.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              I pulled the trigger right before Haren started rolling with his start today. He sure does look better than he has all year.
              Well, despite being a Brewer homer, don't get your hopes up too high. The Brewers are just awful right now.

Comment

Working...
              X