Baseball History Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball History Help

So my 9 year old Marcus was playing around with baseball-reference.com and hit me with a question I had no answer for-- why did the Giants trade Rogers Hornsby after having him for only one season (1927)? It was a remarkable season-- he led the league in runs and walks (86 walks to only 38 ks in nearly 700 PAs!), hit .361, led the NL in OPS, etc... yet away he went to the BOston Braves for one year in '28 then on to the Cubs.

Any help? Have to admit he has me pretty damned curious, too. He's also a relentless kid who will drive me nuts until I can give him an answer
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

hornsby bio - page 3
    "Unfortunately, personality conflicts with manager John McGraw lead to another trade after only one year, sending Rogers to the hapless Boston Braves."
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Hornsby had personality conflicts wherever he went.
      tell your kid to look up Dick Allen/Richie Allen.

oh, and he'll love Hornsby's most famous quote

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Jude has it right. Hornsby irritated everyone around him, and he was irritated by them. The difference between him and almost all of today's players is that he didn't go to the press every time he got into it with someone.
        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

this was a good 2-part series on Hornsby's weird life of infidelity, lawsuits, and gambling problems:

With his .358 career batting average, Rogers Hornsby rates as one of the greatest baseball players of all time. While the “Rajah” dominated...

Continued from  Part I Case 8: Finances were just not Hornsby’s forte. He was sued by Dr. John H. Barto alleging that he had not been pa...

you might want to sanitize some of it for your young kid, though - up to you
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
            Jude has it right. Hornsby irritated everyone around him, and he was irritated by them. The difference between him and almost all of today's players is that he didn't go to the press every time he got into it with someone.
            My guess is that we don't hear about 98% of what goes on
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
            X