Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yadier Molina likely headed to DL

flying back to STL for a MRI on his knee

Seems likely. Does anyone see the Cards making a deal for a catcher rather than going with Cruz and Johnson? There are some meh veterans whom I think can be had.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
      Seems likely. Does anyone see the Cards making a deal for a catcher rather than going with Cruz and Johnson? There are some meh veterans whom I think can be had.
      If it's a knee sprain that keeps him out 4-6 weeks, I think they probably add someone. Cruz and Johnson are not good.

Comment

Absolutely a chance. The Yadi injury throws everything up in the air, and they don't have much time to decide. Hard to imagine a bigger position player loss for any contender, as the gap between his production and that of his backup is absolutely huge. I don't think Cruz or Johnson qualify as the "R" in "WAR"

Another route they could go is to acquire a shortstop as the previous reasoning for sticking with Kozma, and not being overly agressive in acquiring a shortstop, was the strength of the lineup #1-#7. With Molina out for awhile, and with the Cardinals' offensive woes the last 6 games, there's now a better chance they pay up for Erick Aybar or Alexei Ramirez (I'm hoping not Alexei).

I'll still guess that the Cardinals do nothing more today than acquire a middle reliever, as there are several available.
        Last edited by james33; 07-31-2013, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Is something like Aybar/Iannetta (or Conger) for Wacha or Martinez just out of the question? I know they balked at that price for Aybar last night, but if they throw in a catcher now, maybe it makes a difference.

I just want someone to come over to the NL today...geesh.

Comment

Ruiz is available as a short-term rental.

Comment

I thought that every time a Molina got hurt, another Molina just stepped right in to take the next pitch.
              people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                Is something like Aybar/Iannetta (or Conger) for Wacha or Martinez just out of the question? I know they balked at that price for Aybar last night, but if they throw in a catcher now, maybe it makes a difference.

I just want someone to come over to the NL today...geesh.
                I'll guess no on Wacha, but Martinez might be available given Molina's injury. Martinez has sort of been jerked around a bit by the Cardinals - back and forth from Major League bullpen to minor league rotation, and he has been sharing news stories on his facebook page about his confused role, which is a bit odd. https://www.facebook.com/#!/TsunamyMartinez

And "The Cardinal Way" is a big deal to the Cardinals organization, and talented guys who don't quite fit in sometimes are run out of town (e.g., Anthony Reyes, Colby Rasmus).

Or instead of Martinez, perhaps Kolten Wong.

But I'm probably reading too many tea leaves here, plus Iannetta isn't that exciting, so I'll still guess they stay put.
                Last edited by james33; 07-31-2013, 02:19 PM. Reason: realized that my previous paragraph usage implied that Kolten Wong might not have fully embraced the Cardinal Way.

Comment

If the Cards would offer Carlos Martinez for Ianetta, the Angels better take the deal and throw in a charter flight to get Ianetta out of town even faster. I'd be shocked if the Cards were that stupid.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Please take chooch and give the phillies a lot.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      If the Cards would offer Carlos Martinez for Ianetta, the Angels better take the deal and throw in a charter flight to get Ianetta out of town even faster. I'd be shocked if the Cards were that stupid.
                      No way would they do that. But Martinez for Aybar and Iannetta and cash, maybe.

Comment

Looks like the Cards are trying to get Dioner Navarro

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                          Looks like the Cards are trying to get Dioner Navarro
                          I seem to recall Navarro being something of a knucklehead years ago with Tampa Bay, but he got good reviews as a catcher and teammate for the part of last year he was here in Cincinnati. Can anyone provide some insight here?
                          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                          -- William James

Comment

I seem to recall Navarro being something of a knucklehead years ago with Tampa Bay, but he got good reviews as a catcher and teammate for the part of last year he was here in Cincinnati. Can anyone provide some insight here?
                            Here is a pearl-----The Cardinals arent looking to get Navarro anymore.
                            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Working...
                            X