Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
    per rhd: "As usual, this is for roto, not 'real' baseball"
    Garcia is considered to be a good defensive CF, at least according to "an American League talent evaluator": espn article on garcia

The White Sox have four solid starting pitchers under contract for quite a while (Danks, Sale, Quintana, Santiago thru 2016+). They also have their MI set thru 2015 (Beckham & Alexei). Konerko and Floyd become FAs next year (23M), Dunn and Rios do in 2015 ($27M).

So with Garcia, De Aza and those MIs, they have a good chance to be solid up the middle and at starting pitcher, and presumably have money to spend on FAs. There's a lot of teams who would like to be able to say that. I don't know enough about the market to argue that they did their best in the trade, but I do think they look promising for 2014-2016.
    There is no such thing as "real baseball." That died a number of years ago.

I do think your other points are interesting and have some merit...at least food for thought. Thank you.

Comment

per rhd: "As usual, this is for roto, not 'real' baseball"
      Garcia is considered to be a good defensive CF, at least according to "an American League talent evaluator": espn article on garcia

The White Sox have four solid starting pitchers under contract for quite a while (Danks, Sale, Quintana, Santiago thru 2016+). They also have their MI set thru 2015 (Beckham & Alexei). Konerko and Floyd become FAs next year (23M), Dunn and Rios do in 2015 ($27M).

So with Garcia, De Aza and those MIs, they have a good chance to be solid up the middle and at starting pitcher, and presumably have money to spend on FAs. There's a lot of teams who would like to be able to say that. I don't know enough about the market to argue that they did their best in the trade, but I do think they look promising for 2014-2016.
      But doesn't this just confirm dave's middling theory? You list a lot of pitchers, but only Sale is actually good. The others aren't bad, just sort of league average. Alexei Ramirez is a good fielding SS with a career OPS of .715 in a hitters park. Beckham's an average fielding 2B with a career OPS of .699. DeAza's okay, but not a star by any means. Looks like a core of middling to me.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
        Looks like a core of middling to me.
        Core of Middling would be a good name for a band...........

......no really.......I kinda like it!
        Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          So much for Chicago building around Peavy (which didn't make sense to me in the first place). They really didn't get much for him and should have done much better.
          I really disagree - of course, I think DQ's assessment of "three very minor leaguers" from Boston is off, too. Montas is very raw, but has a power arm, and Wendelken was just given Pitcher of the Month for the entire Boston minor league org. They're admittedly not going to be ready until 2016, but the Pale Hose's lower minor system is brutally ugly right now.

And Avasail Garcia has already proven he wasn't overmatched in his first tour of duty. There's a 6'4" 240 lb centerfielder like him who didn't hit for awesome power in the minors either - Carlos Gomez. Garcia doesn't have Gomez's wheels, but IMO, his power profile is even higher, especially in Chicago.

Given going rate for players, the White Sox did pretty well getting a top prospect like Garcia and some decent arms for the low minors.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
            But doesn't this just confirm dave's middling theory? You list a lot of pitchers, but only Sale is actually good. The others aren't bad, just sort of league average. Alexei Ramirez is a good fielding SS with a career OPS of .715 in a hitters park. Beckham's an average fielding 2B with a career OPS of .699. DeAza's okay, but not a star by any means. Looks like a core of middling to me.
            Looking at 2013 ytd AL pitching WAR (for all pitchers), White Sox have two starters in the top 10, another ranked at 31. And those three are 24-25 years old, and under contract for years. Small sample size or whatever, I'd rather have that performance happening right now from my young pitchers than not.
            people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Vecmizer View Post
              Talk to DQ for me. For the past month or more, I have been trying to trade him multiple expiring contract(s) and then some for Correa. Heck Correa isn't even a Pirate. JK Ray
              Look at my roster and tell me I don't have enough expiring contracts already!

Correa stays. The blind squirrel got an acorn and is keeping it.
              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                Look at my roster and tell me I don't have enough expiring contracts already!

Correa stays. The blind squirrel got an acorn and is keeping it.
                I don't blame ya one bit.
                Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
                Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

Looking at 2013 ytd AL pitching WAR (for all pitchers), White Sox have two starters in the top 10, another ranked at 31. And those three are 24-25 years old, and under contract for years. Small sample size or whatever, I'd rather have that performance happening right now from my young pitchers than not.
                  Sale is fourth, and, as I noted, is the one very good player. Quintana is 15th, but his xFIP is 3.97, he just gets there because he eats innings. Santiago is 46th, and he has a FIP and xFIP over 4, he's just stranded a lot of runners. I don't buy Quintana or Santiago as more than middling.

Comment

An xFIP of 3.97 is 27th among AL pitchers with 100 + IP (he has 131.2). That would have him performing as a low-end #2 at a young age.

Here's a Fangraphs article from Chris Cwik (which apparently is not an alias for Mike Fast) who thinks Quintana has evolved from low-end pitcher to a #3 starter, detailing the rising velocity of his fastball and the results: link
                    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

An xFIP of 3.97 is 27th among AL pitchers with 100 + IP (he has 131.2). That would have him performing as a low-end #2 at a young age.

Here's a Fangraphs article from Chris Cwik (which apparently is not an alias for Mike Fast) who thinks Quintana has evolved from low-end pitcher to a #3 starter, detailing the rising velocity of his fastball and the results: link
                      I can see Quintana as a decent but not great #3. A staff with an ace (Sale), a #3, and back-end guys doesn't seem that hot to me with an offensive core that isn't great either. Don't get me wrong, they aren't horrible, just middling to me. Sure, they can make a playoff run if they get some breaks and the division is iffy, but I don't see huge upside here.

Comment

Working...
                      X