X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Callaspo traded to Oakland, Pestano traded somewhere

Callaspo for Grant Green

turns out Pestano was demoted

Not as bad as Andre Ethier for Antonio Perez, but not good. Callaspo is not bad, but very meh. Green barely got a look at the major league level before they gave up on him.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

yeah, I don't get it either, esp given that they want Callaspo to play 2B. I guess this means Weeks is now officially a nobody & Sogard becomes a bench player.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Grant Green kindof sucks and is already 26, so I'm not sure it's that bad of a deal for Oakland overall. Green may eventually figure out the hitting thing, but he is a poor defender at all positions he plays, and he doesn't know how to take a walk. He's not exactly the A's type.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          Considering he just hit .325 in AAA, I'd say he has the hitting thing figured out.

Callaspo, on the other hand, is a poor defender at second base (-11.3 UZR his last full season there). So there goes the good defender theory.

Green will be looking at the exact same move that Callaspo already completed to third base to cover his poor middle infield defense.

The A's traded a pretty decent prospect who has a relatively high hitting ceiling for what looks to be a platoon player (with Sogard) with average to bad defense and a bad bat. Callaspo has only put up a positive wOBA twice out of his eight seasons.

It's certainly not a franchise-killing trade, but it's not a good one.
          He's 25 years old (nearly 26), had an OPS of .817 in his mostly neutral home park in the PCL while hitting for a more robust .926 OPS in the much more hitter friendly parks around the league. I'm not saying Grant Green is terrible or that he's not at least worth a consideration, but expectations should be kept in check. He has little base running speed, mild power, he doesn't walk, and he's a defensive liability. I'm not in love with Callaspo by any means, but Green is bordering on a non-prospect at this point to me, especially if he doesn't have the defense to stick at second base.

Comment

This does not reflect well on Bright Billy's already undistinguished drafting record. I guess he has to make a lot of deals (most quite good, some brilliant) in order to make up for poor drafting.
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Working...
            X