NL 5x5 Auction strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL 5x5 Auction strategy

Do you guys go after players that have value at the draft or do you go after players you like the most.

both!
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

For a while I bought Ozzie Smith every year, as he was my favorite player. Eventually, I figured he wasn't really that good for fantasy baseball. I bought a bobble-head instead.

Comment

Value.

When my players produce value they become my favorites.

When they suck they become my enemy.

Comment

You need to have a base of stats from solid players that are low-risk, (i.e, Pujols, Holliday, Halladay). You will have to pay a premium for those players but you have higher odds of winning with a solid foundation like that. Then you need some of what I like to call un-sexy players. These are the grinders that aren't the biggest stars, but that build on your foundation. Ted Lilly, Angel Pagan, Casey McGehee types. Lastly, you need to fill in with the bargains. These are the guys who earn more than the 2 or 3 dollars you pay for them. They might be rookies, guys who are getting more playing time, or players coming off injury.

That is how I approach the draft.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

Comment

by "like the most", I assumed you meant "expected to perform above general expectations", not "favorite player"....
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                If you only chase value, you'll lose your league.

Fresno Bob is correct.
                Okay, you got me here. I've heard that if you only chase value you'll lose your soul. But, I've never heard that you'll lose your league.

The way I understood things, if my team produces more value than your team, I'll beat you, even if you love your guys and I think all my guys are greedy jackasses. What am I missing?
                Last edited by ; 03-16-2011, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                  The way I understood things, if my team produces more value than your team, I'll beat you, even if you love your guys and I think all my guys are greedy jackasses. What am I missing?
                  I think the original poster meant, "Do you go for value (players who will produce more than you paid) or players you like (meaning players who will produce the most). Not necessarily your favorite players, but the ones you like to produce the most.

Comment

Not unless your value is spread out. You can have lots of value tied up in the same category and win that category by more than you need. This happens alot in saves and steals.

Comment

The object of the game is to collect the most fantasy points, not to get the most value. The latter often leads to the former, but it's not a perfect correlation.
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                        The object of the game is to collect the most fantasy points, not to get the most value. The latter often leads to the former, but it's not a perfect correlation.
                        True, but I look at it in this: You collect no fantasy points at the draft. You collect only potential fantasy points. A roster that is full of value has options. It has cheap keepers for trade or exploitation. It has fewer holes and non-producing spots. It has a staff that can absorb injuries. A roster with little value has none of these things. The value becomes the currency with which you collect fantasy points.

Comment

I go after players that most fit the needs of my squad and if someone comes up that I feel is good value, I will bid for him. Priority one is to fill my needs. I use the prior seasons standings and my projections as guidelines.
                          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Working...
                          X