International Signings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Signings

Why are the Mets not mentioned (ever) in connection with these international signings? As far as I know, these signings have no impact on the amateur draft (i.e. you don't lose draft picks for signing them). Alderson claims the Mets have real money to spend in 2014 and beyond. So why are the Mets never in the mix for the big signings (Alexander Guerrero, for example)?

LOL it's cute you think the Mets have money. They have over 700 million dollars in loan debt to be paid off by 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
      LOL it's cute you think the Mets have money. They have over 700 million dollars in loan debt to be paid off by 2015.
      1) It's a f^&king disgrace if they don't have money. They're in the #1 media market in the world and have a "new" stadium.
      2) Their GM publicly claimed they have money as recently as this week or last. Bay and Santana contracts coming off the books.
      3) Given that debt, I can only (desperately) hope the Wilpons will be forced to sell. I suspect they will find some BS way of refinancing however. Hell, they sold an interest to Stevie Cohen. Perfect fit.

Comment

They might have money to spend next year but that doesn't mean they have it now. And they might have money to spread out over 5 years but they might not have 40mil that they can write a check for all at once.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          They might have money to spend next year but that doesn't mean they have it now. And they might have money to spread out over 5 years but they might not have 40mil that they can write a check for all at once.
          Interesting point. If so, it's a disgrace. And they should do some Mo Vaughn-style annuity to get this done.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
            Interesting point. If so, it's a disgrace. And they should do some Mo Vaughn-style annuity to get this done.
            Is that similar to the Bobby Bonilla annuity they are paying currently?

The disgrace is how Bud Selig allows his friendship with certain owners to cloud his judgment regarding their fiscal irresponsibility. He quite correctly forced Frank McCourt (may he rot in you-know-where) out, yet allows the Wilpons to hang around and continue to lead what should be a flagship franchise into further ineptitude and infamy.
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Working...
            X