Junior Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
    With the exception of maybe Robbie Cano, most 2Bs are quick twitch guys who don't have the arm for SS. Usually if you have the arm but not the range, you go to 3B. Baez is a big guy, if he can't stay at SS, he'll be going the other way to 3B.
    It still strikes me that Baez could play 2B. He's listed at 6'1 205. That's similar to many above average 2Bmen that played there a long time. Brandon Phillips is considered one of the better 2Bman in MLB and he's 6'0, 200. Uggla is an offense-first 2Bman and he's 5'11, 205. Jeff Kent was 6'2, 210. Robby Cano is 6'0, 210. Now Baez is only 21 and may get even heavier, but 2B for him at this point seems very feasible to me.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
      It still strikes me that Baez could play 2B. He's listed at 6'1 205. That's similar to many above average 2Bmen that played there a long time. Brandon Phillips is considered one of the better 2Bman in MLB and he's 6'0, 200. Uggla is an offense-first 2Bman and he's 5'11, 205. Jeff Kent was 6'2, 210. Robby Cano is 6'0, 210. Now Baez is only 21 and may get even heavier, but 2B for him at this point seems very feasible to me.
      They need to trade Castro for pitching and let Baez become the SS of the future.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
        what I was hearing about Castro before this season was that the Cubs don't like his mental makeup but he's a great player so they'll deal with it; I doubt his struggles this season are making that any easier to tolerate. His July has been back up to his standards though.
        Castro also has seemed to have stagnated in other areas besides just hitting. He again is on pace for 25-30 errors for the third year in a row, which is something that the team was going to work with him to improve. His SB/CS ratio is better than last year, but that may be due to him having half as many steal attempts. Not only is his BA down, but his walk rate is lower too (BB/PA of 0.037 this year, 0.052 last year). He is really helping out Baez's and Alcantara's cases to take over at SS as soon as they are ready. Heck, Sveum may even be compelled to let Lake play some SS or 2B to get Castro some time off even though Lake has some poor infield fielding stats in the minors.

Comment

started off 2 for 2 tonight with a double. He still needs a hit in his next at bat to be hitting .600 though.

this whole thread is beginning to make me feel good about the Cubs again. it is also making me strongly consider getting a sitter this weekend and going to a Cubs/Giants game even though that will end up costing me something like $100 total. ugh.
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I wonder what typical weight gain is for professional baseball players. We have good data on major league equivalents of minor league stats, and I'd think that weight gain for young players could be forecasted as well. If he maintains his weight, I'd agree, he isn't too big for 2B. But as you point out, he's only 21, so 6'1 205 today could be 6'1 220 tomorrow, and slower moving to 2B, and more weight on your ankles/knees with runners sliding into you isn't a good recipe for a 2B. Or maybe I'm wrong and professional baseball players don't put on weight from age 21 to 26 like non-athletes do.

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
              I wonder what typical weight gain is for professional baseball players. We have good data on major league equivalents of minor league stats, and I'd think that weight gain for young players could be forecasted as well. If he maintains his weight, I'd agree, he isn't too big for 2B. But as you point out, he's only 21, so 6'1 205 today could be 6'1 220 tomorrow, and slower moving to 2B, and more weight on your ankles/knees with runners sliding into you isn't a good recipe for a 2B. Or maybe I'm wrong and professional baseball players don't put on weight from age 21 to 26 like non-athletes do.
              Sammy Sosa packed on 35 pounds of muscle in one off season. He really hit the weight room.

Comment

This exchange in yesterday's Jason Parks chat at BP pretty much answers my question about the Cubs future lineup:

Junkee (Wrigley): realistic 2015 Cubs starters? 1b Rizzo 2b Alcantara SS Castro 3b Baez LF Bryant CF Almora RF Soler? whos catching?

Jason Parks: I'd put Olt at 3B and Baez on another team's roster, with Bryant in RF and Soler in LF. If that's the lineup, I could be catching and it wouldn't matter much.

Comment

This exchange in yesterday's Jason Parks chat at BP pretty much answers my question about the Cubs future lineup:

Junkee (Wrigley): realistic 2015 Cubs starters? 1b Rizzo 2b Alcantara SS Castro 3b Baez LF Bryant CF Almora RF Soler? whos catching?

Jason Parks: I'd put Olt at 3B and Baez on another team's roster, with Bryant in RF and Soler in LF. If that's the lineup, I could be catching and it wouldn't matter much.
                  I wouldn't be surprised to see Castro moved for pitching (not Theo's type of player and will be due for some big money soon) as long as Baez proves that he can handle shortstop.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
                    I wouldn't be surprised to see Castro moved for pitching (not Theo's type of player and will be due for some big money soon) as long as Baez proves that he can handle shortstop.
                    That would be my hope as well.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

In today's BA Podcast, they (Manuel and Cooper) predict in 2015:

Olt - 3B
                      Baez - SS
                      Castro - 2B
                      Rizzo - 1B
                      Almora - CF (maybe not at the start of 2015)
                      Bryant - OF
                      Soler - OF

Comment

In today's BA Podcast, they (Manuel and Cooper) predict in 2015:

Olt - 3B
                        Baez - SS
                        Castro - 2B
                        Rizzo - 1B
                        Almora - CF (maybe not at the start of 2015)
                        Bryant - OF
                        Soler - OF
                        I have my doubts. I bet we'll see Alcantara at 2b.

Comment

Working...
                        X