Junior Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior Lake

3 for 4 with a SB in his debut. Depending on your league structure, he might qualify at SS/3B and he's playing OF now. Not clear how relevant he is long term though. Cubs could trade DeJesus and if he can handle CF he could be around a while...
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Jason Parks mention on Fringe Average he is most suited for RF.

Comment

Yeah, I have seen that too. But the Cubs have Soriano and his absurd contract in one corner and Schierholtz and his reasonable contract in the other, so the most reasonable route to PT is in the middle.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
        Yeah, I have seen that too. But the Cubs have Soriano and his absurd contract in one corner and Schierholtz and his reasonable contract in the other, so the most reasonable route to PT is in the middle.
        He has also played some 3B. He apparently has a great arm, but needs some work defensively everywhere. I guess if he hits and they move some of these guys he could find some PT post trade deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
          He has also played some 3B. He apparently has a great arm, but needs some work defensively everywhere. I guess if he hits and they move some of these guys he could find some PT post trade deadline.
          He's with the right team for some "grow into it" experience. The Cubs aren't going to win this year, and there's nothing like first-hand major league time for him to find his place and management to see exactly what they have. I'm not a Theo fan, but he does seem to be doing the rebuild according to a reasonable plan.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

Dude looks good tonite!

Comment

yeah, that was a real nice game.

Comment

Rumors or Soriano to NY...

Comment

jeez, he's positively Puig-esque so far. Three three-hit games in his first five, batting .545 with two homers in 22 AB.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                    jeez, he's positively Puig-esque so far. Three three-hit games in his first five, batting .545 with two homers in 22 AB.
                    Right.

I cant help but wonder what the future Cubs lineup will look like now. Lots of OFers and 3Bman. How about this: Almora-CF, Soler-LF, Bryant-RF, Olt-3B, Alcantara-SS, Baez-2B, Rizzo-1B, Castillo-C, Castro-?? trade bait?, Lake-UT IF/OF?, Vogelbach-bench?, Villanueva-bench?, Barney-seems like a great UT IFer but the IF bench is getting crowded, Szczur-5th OFer?, Vitters and Jackson DFA'ed. These things have a way of working themselves out, but that seems like a lot to work out. Nice problem to have, but seems like they'll need to trade some some of these guys for pitchers at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                      Right.

I cant help but wonder what the future Cubs lineup will look like now. Lots of OFers and 3Bman. How about this: Almora-CF, Soler-LF, Bryant-RF, Olt-3B, Alcantara-SS, Baez-2B, Rizzo-1B, Castillo-C, Castro-?? trade bait?, Lake-UT IF/OF?, Vogelbach-bench?, Villanueva-bench?, Barney-seems like a great UT IFer but the IF bench is getting crowded, Szczur-5th OFer?, Vitters and Jackson DFA'ed. These things have a way of working themselves out, but that seems like a lot to work out. Nice problem to have, but seems like they'll need to trade some some of these guys for pitchers at some point.
                      They should call the Mets as they have the exact opposite problem.

Comment

Right.

Alcantara is not a shortstop. And I don't think Baez could play 2B. So if Baez can't stick at SS they are "stuck" with a 23-year old SS with multiple great seasons under his belt. If all of Olt/Baez/Soler/Bryant work out (highly unlikely) they'll have to make a trade. Rizzo has an awfully team friendly contract that they could shop to open up 1B.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                          Alcantara is not a shortstop. And I don't think Baez could play 2B. So if Baez can't stick at SS they are "stuck" with a 23-year old SS with multiple great seasons under his belt. If all of Olt/Baez/Soler/Bryant work out (highly unlikely) they'll have to make a trade. Rizzo has an awfully team friendly contract that they could shop to open up 1B.
                          Alcantara has played most of his games in his career and this year at SS. BA's rpt says he " has the quickness, range and arm strength to make all the plays at shortstop", but that he makes a lot of throwing errors and suggest that he might be "better off" at 2B. Anyway, you could switch Alcantara to 2B and Baez to SS in my hypothetical lineup and you'd still have the same problem.

Are they still happy w Castro at SS? I wasnt sure how they feel now about him there and in general. Anyway, likely he'll be approaching free agency when their other SS prospects are ready. And why do you think Baez couldnt play 2B? The common reason a player moves from SS to 2B is because they dont have arm the arm for SS and BA says Baez' arm is above average.

Comment

what I was hearing about Castro before this season was that the Cubs don't like his mental makeup but he's a great player so they'll deal with it; I doubt his struggles this season are making that any easier to tolerate. His July has been back up to his standards though.

Comment

Alcantara has played most of his games in his career and this year at SS. BA's rpt says he " has the quickness, range and arm strength to make all the plays at shortstop", but that he makes a lot of throwing errors and suggest that he might be "better off" at 2B. Anyway, you could switch Alcantara to 2B and Baez to SS in my hypothetical lineup and you'd still have the same problem.

Are they still happy w Castro at SS? I wasnt sure how they feel now about him there and in general. Anyway, likely he'll be approaching free agency when their other SS prospects are ready. And why do you think Baez couldnt play 2B? The common reason a player moves from SS to 2B is because they dont have arm the arm for SS and BA says Baez' arm is above average.
                              With the exception of maybe Robbie Cano, most 2Bs are quick twitch guys who don't have the arm for SS. Usually if you have the arm but not the range, you go to 3B. Baez is a big guy, if he can't stay at SS, he'll be going the other way to 3B.

Comment

Working...
                              X