For 2K14: Scherzer or Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For 2K14: Scherzer or Miller

Would you prefer Scherzer or Shelby Miller for 2014? It's a 12-team keeper league, mixed traditional 5x5. We lose whatever round a keeper was previously selected in, but any player selected in round 16 or later becomes an automatic 15th rounder. Scherzer was a 5th round pick this year. Miller was a 22nd rd pick, so he'd be in my 15th round slot.

The reason I'm asking is a team has offered me a trade. I took over this garbage team and am trying to get it ready for next year. We get to keep four players, and one has to be a pitcher. Since taking over, I have traded for Stanton, Harper, Marte, and Cespedes. So I have three solid keeper bats for next year out of that group. I'm trying to decide if I'd rather have Scherzer or Miller as my pitcher keeper.

The other owner is asking for ECabrera, Reyes, and Holland in return for Rollins and Miller. That seems like a lot to give up, but something could get worked out.

That would give me Stanton-1st rd, Harper-13th rd, Marte-14th rd, Miller 15th rd or Scherzer 5th rd. Cespedes was drafted in the 2nd round so he's not a keeper.

I may be way off here, but I'm inclined to take Scherzer. Yes, he's a higher round pick, and he's in the AL, but I view him as closer to being a sure thing. You have some great value in those Harper and Marte late round picks, so IMO you can take the "chance" earlier.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

I think they are both terrific keepers, and tough choice. But if I understand your rules correctly, though, I'd do the deal and then keep both Scherzer and Miller, and throw Stanton back. In other words, from next year perspective, I'd rather have Scherzer and my first round pick, rather than my fifth round pick and Stanton.

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
        I think they are both terrific keepers, and tough choice. But if I understand your rules correctly, though, I'd do the deal and then keep both Scherzer and Miller, and throw Stanton back. In other words, from next year perspective, I'd rather have Scherzer and my first round pick, rather than my fifth round pick and Stanton.
        Well...I'm also trying to work out a deal for Yasiel Puig, who was a 22nd rd pick. His owner is currently in 1st, and I'm offering him what I believe is a good deal. I don't know if he'll bite, but I'm offering Stanton/WRosario/ARamirez for Puig and the two guys he'd cut. Rosario would replace Vic Martinez, and Alexei's 19 SBs would replace Aybar at SS for him.

So if he'll do that deal, that would give me Harper, Marte, and Puig as three mid-round keepers.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyman View Post
          Well...I'm also trying to work out a deal for Yasiel Puig, who was a 22nd rd pick. His owner is currently in 1st, and I'm offering him what I believe is a good deal. I don't know if he'll bite, but I'm offering Stanton/WRosario/ARamirez for Puig and the two guys he'd cut. Rosario would replace Vic Martinez, and Alexei's 19 SBs would replace Aybar at SS for him.

So if he'll do that deal, that would give me Harper, Marte, and Puig as three mid-round keepers.
          Wow, that's a pretty sick list of keepers. You could even "overspend" for Puig and throw in his choice of either Scherzer or Shelby Miller as well if he declines your offer.

Comment

All things equal, I'd take Scherzer. But for ten rounds later, Miller becomes very attractive.

Do you know where you'll draft in the 1st round if you toss Stanton back in?
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Right now I'm 11th out of 12 and 5pts out of 9th. I figure I'll have anything from the 2nd-4th pick. Might even have the 1st pick if I dismantle the team to get four great keepers.

Comment

What round pick is Everth Cabrera? I'm guessing he would be very late round, and if he can get any suspension served/removed before the end of this season, he would become extremely valuable as a keeper. The value of 60 SB is on the rise in the current environment. It's certainly a risk, but worth considering.

Comment

Working...
                X