Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AL Catchers for 2k14; any backups to full-timers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AL Catchers for 2k14; any backups to full-timers?

thoughts on whether any of these three will be able to push out the incumbent to take the starting gig next year?

Josh Phegley, CHW
    Derek Norris, Oak
    Hank Conger, LAA

I can only get one. I'm leaning towards maybe Conger, but the new kid on the block Phegley is making a case.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Nothing in Phegley's past (.253/.302/.383 career in the minors through 2012) indicates that this year is anything other than a fluke. That said, with catchers, you never know when the light is going to go on.

I think Conger is a safer pick. His problem is that his manager doesn't seem to have a lot of faith in him as a catcher.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post

I think Conger is a safer pick. His problem is that his manager doesn't seem to have a lot of faith in him as a catcher.
      Where that may be true, I've heard the Angels announcers discussing how much of an improvement there has been in that portion of his game, blocking balls in the dirt and throwing out runners. I'm not sure how he is rated on his game calling. I think he has passed Iannetta at this point (who has 2 more years-$10.5M on his contract). It will be interesting to see if they get a catcher in the off-season. They do not have any catching prospects of note.
      Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Working...
      X