HDID - Auction Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDID - Auction Style

8 team, mixed league so obviously the elite talent are more important to get here.

$250 budget, standard 5x5 categories with OPS added for hitters and quality starts for pitchers

This was the first time I went into the auction with allotting money to each position and having a better idea of my budget (ala Lucky's blog post - http://www.advancedfantasybaseball.c...on-budget.html) It helped tremendously because I normally wait on players and then leave money on the table but this year I was spending earlier than anyone else. I was shooting for a 65/35 split and ended up with 64/36, so not too bad. So, have at it, keepers are in bold:

C - Buster Posey - $7
    1B - Adrian Gonzalez - $43 (allotted 36 so had to move money around... probably overpriced but I really wanted him)
    2B - Pedroia - $21.50
    SS - Stephen Drew - $9.50
    3B - Adrian Beltre - $12.50
    IF - Adam Dunn - $5
    OF - Carlos Gonzalez - $12.50
    OF - Andrew McCutcheon - $14

OF - Jay Bruce - $19.50
    Util - Elvis Andrus - $5
    Util - Shane Victorino - $6.50
    Bench - Luke Scott - $.50, Gordon Beckham - $2.60 and Trout/Harper as Minor League Reserves

Pitching:
    SP: Halladay - $39.50 (Wasn't planning on going after another stud pitcher but it was too good of a deal in my mind to pass up, especially because I knew I could get pitchers later at cheaper prices in our league to fill out my staff)
    SP - David Price - $2.90
    SP - Tommy Hanson - $ .50
    SP - Mat Latos - $ . 70

SP - Max Scherzer - $15
    RP - Joakim Soria - $11
    RP - Chris Perez - $7.50
    RP - Jake McGee - $1.10
    P - Brandon Morrow - $5
    Bench - Daniel Bard $1 (got stuck throwing him out thinking our Red Sox fan would jump and hearing crickets)
    Bench - Tim Stauffer - $.50

I hit almost all of my projections, except falling a bit short on homers (by 30) and saves (by about 75). Thoughts, comments?

My initial question is, you missed your saves projection by 75 and you have two closers and one possible closer and one guy who might get a few saves on occasion? were you planning to get four closers? I guess in an eight-team league with only nine pitchers there's no reason not to... were there undrafted closers or does someone else have six?
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
      My initial question is, you missed your saves projection by 75 and you have two closers and one possible closer and one guy who might get a few saves on occasion? were you planning to get four closers? I guess in an eight-team league with only nine pitchers there's no reason not to... were there undrafted closers or does someone else have six?
      Good questions... I looked back again on last year's numbers and realized that the two teams at the top had 5 closers each which greatly affected their totals. Everyone else was bunched together below those two teams. None of the teams this year had that many, so I think I'll be better than expected in saves. I think I was hoping to get another full time closer at least, and I'm not really sure why I didn't. If a closer comes along, I can easily drop Bard who I wasn't planning on drafting or Stauffer if he starts off slowly.

Comment

Yeah, saves are a big problem, but I'd imagine that guys like Fuentes, Farnsworth, Ogando are still on the WW so I wouldn't worry too much. I'd be more worried about power with both Elvis and Victorino as your UT guys. Scott is replacement level and while I love Becks, he isn't exactly Adam Dunn himself. Hopefully your infield makes up for it.

Comment

Working...
        X