Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013: Zoilo Almonte

ETA: That's Zoilo; mods please fix.

Aside from the cool name, anything to see here?

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Cashman claims that he can handle the everyday RF job for the Yankees in the future, but I see a replacement level outfielder with some speed and some pop. 4th OF type.
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

he certainly deserved a shot, this is his 8th year in the minors!

Comment

yea, he's a reserve type guy who is being forced into a starting role because, well, Vernon Wells sucks goats again

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
          yea, he's a reserve type guy who is being forced into a starting role because, well, Vernon Wells sucks goats again
          How is Vernon Wells on a payroll?

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            he certainly deserved a shot, this is his 8th year in the minors!
            Which tells you what the other 29 teams thought about him.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

There's nothing wrong with a flash in the pan if he helps me achieve baseball victory.
              "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
              "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                How is Vernon Wells on a payroll?

J
                Because his contract runs through next season for $21 million each year, no less.

Nice work if you can get it.
                Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  Which tells you what the other 29 teams thought about him.
                  Those 29 teams thought pretty similar things about Raul Ibanez and Eric Chavez last year, and Travis Hafner this year.

Of course, those other 29 teams don't have the Yankees' short porch, so they can ignore all-or-nothing lefties more freely than the Yankees.

(Granted, Zoilo is a switch hitter, but he still has that short porch 2/3 of the time)

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                    Those 29 teams thought pretty similar things about Raul Ibanez and Eric Chavez last year, and Travis Hafner this year.

Of course, those other 29 teams don't have the Yankees' short porch, so they can ignore all-or-nothing lefties more freely than the Yankees.

(Granted, Zoilo is a switch hitter, but he still has that short porch 2/3 of the time)
                    Apples to oranges. Teams treat old, injury-prone, free agent players as a much different class of assets than young, healthy, pre-arb players with options remaining.

What is the best minor league free agent signing that you can think of over the last five years among players that still had options remaining?

Edit to add: Never mind. Almonte wasn't a minor-league free agent signing. I saw that he was eligible for the Rule 5 draft for the first time in 2009 and that he is only on his second option year and assumed that he would have been a minor-league free agent in there somewhere. But he didn't start playing until 2006, so he wouldn't have become a minor-league free agent until after the 2011 season, when the Yankees added him to their 40-man roster to prevent him from leaving. I'm not sure why he was Rule 5 eligible in 2009 instead of 2010. Rule 5 has some strange quirks, particularly for Latin players who sign but don't start playing immediately.
                    Last edited by Kevin Seitzer; 06-26-2013, 09:11 AM.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                    X