nava trade value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nava trade value?

picked nava up off the waiver wire a couple of weeks into the season (AL only 4x4), and what a pleasant surprise he's been.

i keep waiting for the wheels to come off, but he's been a fairly consistent producer all season in a relatively high powered contender's lineup, and from multiple spots in the batting order. he sits at 12th in the league in RBI (45), ahead of cano, trout, et al. his "on pace" numbers are 22/101/.281, suggesting possible keeper potential for '14 @ $10 (again, still waiting for/expecting the wheels to come off).

so, i've been contemplating for the past month on offering him for hamilton ($37), owned by a noted sox fan who has mentioned his regret at missing on nava off the wire. i hedged at first because it seemed like a silly offer (i nearly posted a question on RJ about it, but i thought it sounded too ridiculous to mention). since then, i've been hedging because i'm not sure i want to give this guy up for a seemingly lost slugger that's showing little to no signs of finding his stroke.

but still, i'm having difficulty reconciling nava's true trade value. if he were to continue on to have a 20hr/100rib season, i dont expect that you'd ever be able to get full trade value for those stats. but is it possible to turn him over to an owner disgruntled with, say, a slumping alex gordon?

or is this a case where a player's actual value so greatly exceeds his perceived value, that trading is basically a non-option? (sometimes it seems you have to actually own a player such as this to appreciate his value)

i dont know. what does the forum think this guy is "worth" in trade, and, moreover, would you??
    One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Rutschman 22 JRamirez 40 Dezenzo 5 Lewis 6 Semien 26 Torres 20 Hamilton 10 Tucker 42 Cowser 1 Meadows 5 Holliday 17 Andujar 10 Robert 28 P Lopez 8 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10 McArthur 1 Miller 6 Crochet 10 Crawford 1

Originally posted by cool hand View Post
    but still, i'm having difficulty reconciling nava's true trade value. if he were to continue on to have a 20hr/100rib season, i dont expect that you'd ever be able to get full trade value for those stats. but is it possible to turn him over to an owner disgruntled with, say, a slumping alex gordon?

or is this a case where a player's actual value so greatly exceeds his perceived value, that trading is basically a non-option? (sometimes it seems you have to actually own a player such as this to appreciate his value)
    Great post. We don't have many philosophical trade discussions here but I think we can really learn from them.

I own Gordon in a shallow mixed league and he's been mainly used as a fill-in on nights off because his main contributions have been runs and a decent avg. If I was looking for power I'd probably trade him for Nava.

In an AL league Gordon is a good 3rd OF. I'd be happy with a few HR and SB from him there. Similarly, I'd trade him for Nava if I needed power, but he'd likely be too valuable to trade for Hamilton who has looked lost for the last year. Nava is more reliable.

Remember this is the kid who hit a grand slam on his first pitch. Decent power did not come out of nowhere.

I think it would be difficult to get value for Nava unless you 'sold' him - mention the first pitch grand slam and this year's pace. The numbers are there.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Nava has the perception of a guy who was a waiver claim, and it's hard to shake that stigma and convince someone he's really a $15-$20 player.

I have him for $5 (as a waiver claim) and I get the feeling there wouldn't be much trade interest. He's only valuable to the person who already owns him.

Comment

AL only 6x6 I also have him as a $10 replacement guy, I am in rebuild mode (he was the guy I got back in a dump trade that netted me Machado and Myers in April) and although he could be a keeper next year I am about to flip him for Addison Russell.
        Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

i'm gonna bump this because this offer is still very much on the table. the guy has basically agreed to trade hamilton for nava.
          both of our teams are in the $$ hunt and in similar positions in the standings on power numbers. AL 4x4.
          so - at this point, who do you take?
          One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Rutschman 22 JRamirez 40 Dezenzo 5 Lewis 6 Semien 26 Torres 20 Hamilton 10 Tucker 42 Cowser 1 Meadows 5 Holliday 17 Andujar 10 Robert 28 P Lopez 8 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10 McArthur 1 Miller 6 Crochet 10 Crawford 1

Comment

i'm gonna bump this because this offer is still very much on the table. the guy has basically agreed to trade hamilton for nava.
            both of our teams are in the $$ hunt and in similar positions in the standings on power numbers. AL 4x4.
            In the 18-team RJEL, I got a $2 Nava basically as a toss-in, but as a contender he's been invaluable and I believe he's a great keeper for 2014.

This trade was:
            I give Mike Zunino (Rookie, $6 if surpasses 130 AB) + Bubba Starling (rookie)
            for
            Aramis Ramirez $32, Austin jackson $14 & Nava $2

Needless to say, I'm thankful some people still believe in the WW stigma!

That said, I'd do the Nava for Hamilton trade pretty easily.

Comment

I'd probably lean towards Wonderboy (Hamilton) even though it seems like the benefits of his cortisone shot are already wearing off. He could win the league for you, something Nava isn't going to do. Nava's a great runs guy, but you're in 4x4.

If you assume Nava was a little BABIP unlucky last year you could adjust his line to something like 273/382/420. This year he's at 288/374/429.

Comment

Working...
              X