Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rest Of Season - Adam Lind, Kyle Blanks or Matt Joyce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rest Of Season - Adam Lind, Kyle Blanks or Matt Joyce?

Either of them more likely to keep it up than the other? Standard league + OPS. Matt Joyce, Adam Lind or Kyle Blanks - what say the Pen, how would you rank these 3?

With his extensive injury history, Blanks is probably more of a high risk/high reward kind of hitter. Plus he has Petco and less lineup protection working against him. Despite all that, i admit that his potential is intriguing. But, i would probably go with Lind in a more favorable hitters park and the better lineup.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Lind has one season with an OPS over .800 in his career and Joyce is the only one who steals bases so I'm going to go:

Joyce
      Lind
      Blanks

although if Blanks can find his way into regular at-bats all season he might jump to #2

Comment

fwiw Lind is looking great - he's been getting great swings, driving the ball even when he gets out - no cheap hits ...
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Lind has gone on record lately suggesting he has altered his fundamental approach at the plate to incorporate walking more frequently and to also stop waiting to hit only fastballs. And the peripherals suggest he's doing very much what he's saying he wants to do. While I'm skeptical of him overall, I'm more skeptical of Joyce and Blanks because I don't know anything about them revamping their approach to hitting. Sign me up for the guy who seems to have finally analyzed his weakneases and attempted to improve his abilities in those areas.

Lind
          Joyce (who always suckers me in around this time of year)
          Blanks

Comment

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/dav...-off-for-lind/

There's an article with some fun quotes from Lind. If nothing else, the dude seems to have learned a dose of humility.

Comment

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/adam-...s-just-enough/

And there's another article with even more definition on Lind's revamped approach.

Comment

Lind has been hitting lefties this season after looking lost vs them for the past several.

That said, Matt Joyce looks fantastic

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                  Lind has one season with an OPS over .800 in his career and Joyce is the only one who steals bases so I'm going to go:

Joyce
                  Lind
                  Blanks

although if Blanks can find his way into regular at-bats all season he might jump to #2
                  It's looking like that might not be a problem. All he needs is regular at-bats (which he'll be getting for the foreseeable future) and he'll force the Pads to keep playing him regularly regardless of Alonso/Quentin/Maybin's health and when they come back.

IMO, he's here for good. The homer he hit yesterday to win it in the eighth was as free and easy a swing as you'll ever see and it went in to the upper deck in left field. Petco (which has never been that much of a drain on right-handed hitters anyway) won't contain his kind of power. Am I a homer? Of course I am. But I think his value in this thread is being severely underrated. With that said, I would still take Joyce over him, but would not make Lind the clear number 2 by any means.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                    And yet a career OPS of .789.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                      And yet a career OPS of .789.
                      Well, he had that one great year where he OPSed .932, but from there it went down to .712, .734, and .729 before jumping back up to .979 this year. So yeah, he's capable of putting up a .900+ OPS, but it's not his norm.

Even with Lind's great season so far, Joyce has 9 more runs, 6 more homers, 7 more RBI, and 5 more steals (and a very nice .884 OPS of his own).

Comment

Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                        It's looking like that might not be a problem. All he needs is regular at-bats (which he'll be getting for the foreseeable future) and he'll force the Pads to keep playing him regularly regardless of Alonso/Quentin/Maybin's health and when they come back.

IMO, he's here for good. The homer he hit yesterday to win it in the eighth was as free and easy a swing as you'll ever see and it went in to the upper deck in left field. Petco (which has never been that much of a drain on right-handed hitters anyway) won't contain his kind of power. Am I a homer? Of course I am. But I think his value in this thread is being severely underrated. With that said, I would still take Joyce over him, but would not make Lind the clear number 2 by any means.
                        I like Joyce best.

I hope you are right about playing time. If Blanks was a full timer I would take him 2nd with Lind third. Now I admit I am biased when it comes to Blanks, so I probably have to rank him 3rd.

Comment

Thanks all - good info... I ended up taking Joyce as the last piece of a trade I was working on.

Comment

Maybe I jinxed all 3. Joyce batting about .100 since this thread, Lind at .230 albeit with a few bombs and Blanks at .245 with no homers. Maybe the correct answer was D) none of the above but hopefully Joyce heats up again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                              Maybe I jinxed all 3. Joyce batting about .100 since this thread, Lind at .230 albeit with a few bombs and Blanks at .245 with no homers. Maybe the correct answer was D) none of the above but hopefully Joyce heats up again.
                              Joyce managed to last a little longer until his famous June swoon kicked in, but yeah, I just don't trust that guy outside of May for any consistent production. We'll see what gives with Lind, but he's still had some excellent games since this thread. It might be option D, but darnit, I'm still buying into Lind for the moment (although his new back injury may hush me up soon enough, lol).

Comment

Working...
                              X