Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, Where Does Barry Zito Really Stand With The Giants, Anyway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, Where Does Barry Zito Really Stand With The Giants, Anyway?

I have a keeper decision to make in my 12-team NL-Only 4x4 (K's instead of WHIP) - Barry Zito at $2. Last year, save for a brutal August, he was pretty much the league average Barry Zito we've seen since Cy Young contender Barry Zito vanished after the 2003 season. Easily worth $2 in my league's format. And especially in an auction where starting pitching will be very thin.

So I thought I had an easy keep decision on the unsexy Zito. But I'm not sure what to believe out of the Giants' Spring Training camp. He's out of shape. He's a head case. He's fallen out of favor with the organization. He's fallen out of favor with Bruce Bochy. The fans have turned on him. He's going to be released. He's going to be traded. He's going to be demoted to the bullpen.

So, Fresno Bob, JudeBaldo, The Dane, anybody - where does Barry Zito really stand with The Giants? They can't possibly be seriously considering eating that contract, or handing him the mop, can they? Is there any legitimate reason to think he won't go out there and post 190 innings of his typical mediocrity and earn his $2 on my fantasy team?
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

mediocrity is not typical from Zito. It may have been in 2k10 but that was an aberration.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Zito should be fine. It would be surprising for the Giants to release him.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
        So, Fresno Bob, JudeBaldo, The Dane, anybody - where does Barry Zito really stand with The Giants? They can't possibly be seriously considering eating that contract, or handing him the mop, can they? Is there any legitimate reason to think he won't go out there and post 190 innings of his typical mediocrity and earn his $2 on my fantasy team?
        He'll be their #4 starter for the duration of the season, in my opinion. As far as I know, they have not "soured" on him, per se. They have all gotten better around him and he hasn't and his contract is an albatross, but no one is blaming HIM for that. He was a gentleman down the stretch and in the playoffs when he didn't even make the roster. They like him there, even though he's a mediocrity on a good day. If that is worth $2 in your league, then keep him with confidence.

Comment

right now he's the worlds most expensive 5th starter.....even if we have him at #4 in front of Bumgardner....
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
          X