Ian Stewart's Twitter rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ian Stewart's Twitter rant

Exhibit #1,432 that all professional sports players must have a Twitter feed:

Full story at http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7681521.story

Stewart’s late-night Twitter rant began when a fan tweeted him and asked if there was “any word when you’re heading back to Chicago.” Stewart replied: “Probably never.”

Stewart is hitting .164 at Iowa with a .279 on-base percentage, four home runs and 19 RBIs in 110 at-bats. He also had a three-home-run game on June 8. Stewart was sent to Iowa on a minor league rehab stint in April after injuring his quad in an intrasquad game in February, after missing the final four months of 2012 due to left wrist surgery. But the Cubs eventually optioned him to Iowa, where he’s been playing sporadically.

Stewart, a prolific tweeter, was replying to tweets from followers, and explained to one his reasoning for saying he’s "probably never” returning to the Cubs: “I said that because the Cubs are done with me. There (sic) going to let me ROTT (sic) in AAA all season and then non tender me after.”

When someone told Stewart to “just keep grinding ... and rake,” he made reference to Cubs third baseman Luis Valbuena by responding: “I honestly believe if Valbuena were to get hurt they wouldn’t call me up. Back up. Just MHO.”

One person tweeted Stewart to say he was “worthless” and should “quit baseball.” Stewart replied: “why would I quit. I’m making 2 mill in AAA like u would give that up by quitting.”

Stewart was non-tendered last December but re-signed for $2 million. If the Cubs release him, they’re obligated to pay the entire salary.

Stewart also tweeted: “I meant they might as well release me since I have no shot at a call-up.”

Explaining why he thought the Cubs didn’t want him up, he tweeted: “I think Dale doesn’t like me and he’s running the show.”

Stewart later tweeted that it was “more fun” in Triple-A than the big leagues because there is “no stress” and “no media,” adding it was “way chill.”As the night wore on Stewart retweeted someone who took an apparent shot at the Cubs’ front office: “sad part is Stew isn't an AAA baller. He is a big show baller in an org. With terrible leadership.”

Stewart’s saga isn’t over, though he’s likely killing any chance of returning to the Cubs.
    Hey Ian...Im pretty sure you're never getting called up because you couldnt swing your way out of a paper bag going on 4 years now.

He sucks...most attention he's going to get

Comment

RotoWorld:

Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer said Tuesday that there will be "consequences" following Ian Stewart's Twitter rant on Monday night.
      Stewart wrote on his Twitter account that he will "probably never" be called up from Triple-A Iowa and suggested that he was better off being released. The Cubs naturally weren't too happy about that. "We spent the entire morning dealing with an issue that doesn’t help us get better as an organization," said Hoyer. "That’s not how we want to spend our time. What he did was really unprofessional and there are going to be consequences. Beyond that, I’m not going to comment." While Stewart isn't expected to be released, he is liking looking at a fine or suspension.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
        "We spent the entire morning dealing with an issue that doesn’t help us get better as an organization," said Hoyer.
        soooo many mornings must be like that for the cubs management.
        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
          soooo many mornings must be like that for the cubs management.
          Nice one

Comment

Ian Stewart is a stone cold moron. He got himself in all kinds of trouble with The Rockies with inappropriate tweets revealing a personal lifestyle that was very detrimental to his professional career, even when his career with them was hanging by a thread. His agent needs to sit him down and tell him to get the hell off Twitter, and focus on impressing The Yakult Swallows.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

This dildo is making $2 million?! I need a new team.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                Ian Stewart is a stone cold moron. He got himself in all kinds of trouble with The Rockies with inappropriate tweets revealing a personal lifestyle that was very detrimental to his professional career, even when his career with them was hanging by a thread. His agent needs to sit him down and tell him to get the hell off Twitter, and focus on impressing The Yakult Swallows.
                what'd he do with the Rockies? I never heard about that.
                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Cubs options if they were petty:

1) Hire a knuckleballer to pitch in Low-A; send Stewart down to Low-A and make him play catcher.
                  2) Have first base coach order him to steal every single time he reaches first, attempt to set a record for most CS in a season.
                  3) Void his contract by arguing that he is trying to play poorly on purpose, thus forcing Stewart and his agent to argue that 43 K's in 110 AB's in AAA represents Stewart's best effort.

Comment

I like option 3.

Comment

From RotoWorld, looks like the Cubs went with option 4:

Ian Stewart has been suspended indefinitely without pay.
                      Stewart went on a Twitter rant Monday night, questioning why the Cubs hadn't called him up yet from Triple-A Iowa (where he is currently batting just .164/.279/.345). Cubs president Theo Epstein cited the "loyalty clause" in Stewart's contract and said that the length of the third baseman's suspension has not yet been determined.

Color me shocked.
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                        what'd he do with the Rockies? I never heard about that.
                        Late night tweeting about partying and junk food binges during the season. It may not have really been that big a deal, but these weren't exactly the kinds of things the club wanted to hear from their failing young star, particularly when his passion and commitment were already in serious question.
                        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                          From RotoWorld, looks like the Cubs went with option 4:

Ian Stewart has been suspended indefinitely without pay.
                          Stewart went on a Twitter rant Monday night, questioning why the Cubs hadn't called him up yet from Triple-A Iowa (where he is currently batting just .164/.279/.345). Cubs president Theo Epstein cited the "loyalty clause" in Stewart's contract and said that the length of the third baseman's suspension has not yet been determined.

Color me shocked.
                          I simply can't wait for the union to challenge this.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            I simply can't wait for the union to challenge this.
                            And win...

And at the end of the day, who's the bigger fool? Stewart for being a dope and tweeting things that he probably shouldn't have? Or the Cubs, who are paying this kid 2 million bucks a year to play AAA baseball?
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              And win...
                              Depends. If the "indefinitely" is a few days, I don't think they'll win. But having to defend why he should be up when he's notably beyond the Mendoza line will require Carneyesque dissembling.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                              X