Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cole Hamels

Is Cole Hamels a buy low candidate?

The xFIP is well under 4.00, BABIP is under 3.00 and he is still racking the Ks. OTOH BB% and HR% are both up. Hamels is approaching 30 and has 1000 IP in the last five years.

Is this his new level of performance, or will he bounce back.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

I mentioned in the other thread about him that I think he's a great buy low guy. The main culprits in his poor performance thus far have been bad homerun and strand rates. Those are always the flukiest of the peripherals in my mind (especially for a guy with such a consistently better track record). His walks are up a bit this year, but they're not so far above early outlier status that it worries me too much. I'm buying.

Comment

Start him today in Colorado? I got burned starting MadBum in Col.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I would not start him in Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          I'm starting him in my H2H league. I could chicken out and bench him between now and the start of the game, but right now I'm feeling ballsy.

Comment

I wouldn't. His location hasn't been great this year, and the thin air can mess with that even more.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Tough loss. 3 ER and 7 K in 7 IP, WHIP of 1.14, in Coors, but it is not good enough.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Biggest bust of the year....what a maroon...I only hope I can deal him for a big bat...
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Biggest bust of the year....what a maroon...I only hope I can deal him for a big bat...
                  I would have to go with Teixeira on that. Hamels is at least a SP3 in a deep league.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                    I would have to go with Teixeira on that. Hamels is at least a SP3 in a deep league.

J
                    Wasn't Tex on the DL before the season started? If so, how can he be a bust? You draft an injured guy you take a chance. Hamels was arguably top 5 pitcher on most draft boards...

Comment

There are so many busts this year, it is hard to keep track of them all. Kemp is up there. Gallardo is up there. BJ Upton. Rickie Weeks. There are a lot of busts this year.

I, for instance, had the worst auction in my 20 years doing this. Luckily, I had a great set of keepers, so I am surviving, but I spent my auction money this year--a little over half my total budget--on the following losers: Gallardo, Haren, Beckett, Aybar, Youklis, Teixiera, and Maybin. Virtually no production out of this group. Worst. Auction. Ever. Plus, I've had Braun and Kemp disappoint me this year as well. With all that, I am actually leading my h2h points league in points right now (riding surprise production from my young keepers--Segura, Miller, and Fernandez). But, since it is h2h, my record actually puts me out of the playoffs. I'm hoping my h2h luck evens out.

Comment

Awful control again today.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                          Awful control again today.
                          Is he overthrowing for that extra mph?
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I don't know. I think it's mental and/or mechanical.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              I don't know. I think it's mental and/or mechanical.
                              Overthrowing would be mechanical. Then again, 90% of this game is about half mental.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                              X