X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerrit Cole coming up

Spot start or here to stay?

Comment

No insider here or owner, but I bet here to stay. They are playing well, it is past any dates so why not use him in the majors rather than minor league innings.

Comment

from what we heard at AFL from Kimbrell 2 years ago, Cole doesn't mind going down....
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I was surprised to see how pedestrian his AAA has been so far. 68 IP, 47 Ks, 28 BBs.

Comment

That's Wandy's turn in the rotation, and they haven't committed to his skipping his turn, but they have said he's not going on the DL. I guess Jeanmar Gomez's spot is available?
            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

anyone starting Cole tonight? His AAA stats dont look so great so I'm hesitant.
              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

I made a wager that Porcello has better stats than Cole for the remainder of the year, and I feel pretty good about it. If I'm in a shallow league, I'm not starting Cole any time soon.

Comment

I agree.

Starting him anyway because this team sucks!
                  "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post

Starting him anyway because this team sucks!
                    ^this...
                    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Starting him. I've gotten zero return from the bench spot he occupied since the auction. I need to get every penny he provides. Please, please, please no negative pennies.

Comment

Originally posted by dannahann View Post
                        Starting him. I've gotten zero return from the bench spot he occupied since the auction. I need to get every penny he provides. Please, please, please no negative pennies.

ETA: or...

and it's even a negative *canadian* penny!
                        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                          http://negitivepenny.blogspot.com

ETA: or...

and it's even a negative *canadian* penny!
                          Ha, Bad omen for starting Cole tonight but thanks!!!

Comment

Kid's got electric stuff. We'll see if he has a gameplan on how to use it, but I'm fairly impressed so far. The ball explodes to home plate, that's for sure. My favorite line from the announcers when the Giants took the field:

"And here's Tim Lincecum. He used to have stuff like that... but not anymore."

Comment

96-98-99, 3 straight fastballs to start the game as he blew away leadoff hitter Gregor Blanco.

Electric atmosphere in PNC Park, something like 8000 walk-up fans last night.

My impression matched what everyone has been saying all along - the stuff is amazing but the results don't quite match. Part of the 'problem' is that he really fills up the zone. Some of his pitches were middle middle, which works when you're throwing 99. Other times he did a good job pounding the bottom of the zone, so the potential is definitely there for good numbers even if the K rate isn't what you'd expect. I liked the changeup a lot. The slider almost had too much movement, it was more of a chase pitch because he was struggling to keep it in the zone. But again, he threw a couple that were nice and tight and stayed nasty in the zone. So, overall, work in progress, stuff is definitely electric if inconsistent, Ks aren't going to be what we expect but his control was excellent and command was pretty good. And he'll still get some Ks when he just reaches back and overpowers someone.

I will say, a lot of the hits he gave up were bleeders and bloops, but that's the kind of thing that can happen when you fill up the zone and your control is better than your command. Luckily for him the Pirates' defense is generally pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                              X