Prospect questions: Owings and Alcantara

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prospect questions: Owings and Alcantara

I am basically lazy and so I pick up minor leaguers using the simple process of looking at the youngest guys in their leagues that are playing well. A couple questions about guys I just picked up:

Chris Owings: yeah, he's in Reno and it's easy to hit there. On the other hand, that's how I picked up Adam Eaton before this year. So he's a 21-year-old SS in the Arizona system, one of only five 21-and-younger guys in AAA (Profar, Castellanos, Wilmer Flores, and a guy on the White Sox who doesn't belong), and he's leading all of baseball with 91 hits. Granted, they're mostly singles, and he's also leading all of baseball in AB and PA because he is awful at drawing walks, but a .350ish average in AAA at the age of 21 with 10 steals is pretty good, right? He's blocked by Gregorius and Hill, but is he actually any good?

Arismendy Alcantara: 21-year-old SS in AA in the Cubs system. Hitting .290 with some power. Also doesn't walk enough. Blocked by Castro but he could move to second or third, although I would assume the Cubs are planning to put their new draftee at third.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Alcantra's likely blocked by Javier Baez and Christian Villanueva (3B), along with Castro. I don't see a path to for him, unless Villanueva really doesn't cut it when he comes up.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Owings was named the PCL rookie of the year. He still can't take a walk though.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Castro is terrible at SS. I could see him moving to 2b to make room for alcantara, when his is ready. Or Castro could get dealt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          Castro is terrible at SS. I could see him moving to 2b to make room for alcantara, when his is ready. Or Castro could get dealt.
          The Cubs aren't exactly set at 2B with Darwin Barney, either. If you're an infield prospect, the Cubs are an almost ideal organization to which to belong.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
            The Cubs aren't exactly set at 2B with Darwin Barney, either. If you're an infield prospect, the Cubs are an almost ideal organization to which to belong.
            Putting "Cubs" and "ideal organization" in the same sentence, even with the qualifier? Are you trying to work some reverse-jink for your Buccos?
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
              Putting "Cubs" and "ideal organization" in the same sentence, even with the qualifier? Are you trying to work some reverse-jink for your Buccos?
              The Cubs are the Land of Opportunity for a minor league player. At almost every position (except 1B), there isn't that much in one's way.

As for my Pirates, I'm still not on the playoff bandwagon until the day after win #82. One thing at a time.
              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

Working...
              X