Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'll have 89 bucks to Spend at Auction...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll have 89 bucks to Spend at Auction...

Anyone ever seen that before? And how successful was the team? What do I need to do to make this work, IYO...

Preachers Keepers:

Albert Pujols 51
    Dan Uggla 22
    Troy Tulowitzki 40
    Peter Bourjos 2
    Luke Scott 6

Felix Hernandez 24
    Phil Hughes 5
    Ubaldo Jimenez 13
    Ryan Franklin 5
    Joel Hanrahan 2
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

you have 3 players that would be considered first or second rounders so your talent is fine and while Pujols is high, he would go for more at the auction and he is bankable. You also have cheap closers. I think youre in solid shape but will need to auction for value. If you overpay for another stud, youll have plenty of duds.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Yep. Throw out the biggest names and don't buy anyone for the first hour. Once the big money is gone, you can buy a few value players.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

If 4x4, better make sure most of your offense draftees can steal some bases for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
          If you overpay for another stud, youll have plenty of duds.
          This.

I'd stay away from big ticket guys at this point, grabbing two more $20ish guys and going cheap the rest of the way. You have somewhat locked yourself into Stars and Scrubs (almost everyone with Pujols is in that situation). That said, the players you already have form the solid core of a winner, in my opinion.

Comment

Horns

dont you have 90 to spend or do those MLers with salary go against the auction payroll?
            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

you have 3 players that would be considered first or second rounders so your talent is fine and while Pujols is high, he would go for more at the auction and he is bankable. You also have cheap closers. I think youre in solid shape but will need to auction for value. If you overpay for another stud, youll have plenty of duds.
              Depends on the rest of the league. If they have a zillion keepers and few good players remain, better to spend bucks on good players than have "value" with duds. On balance I would spend nearly all on hitting though.

Comment

You are clearly a rookie at this strategy. One guy in our league is down to 49 bucks with 11 roster spots to fill. YIKES!

Comment

Horns you forgot to mention that you're 2-time defending champ, so spare us your call for advice
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Nice team. You have a lot of money to spend if you manage it wisely.

The lowest I ever went in was $23 dollars needing 8 spots. I think I took second that year.

The lowest I have seen was $9 for 8 slots. He finished first. But man he had all of the low price good keeps.

Comment

Horns

dont you have 90 to spend or do those MLers with salary go against the auction payroll?
                      Nope...players in the Minors do not count against your budget...
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        Nope...players in the Minors do not count against your budget...
                        They shouldn't but all of the guys we just recently ruled were minor league eligible still have $ in their salary field on CBS. These all need to be fixed with the $ put with the contract (e.g. ML-1) before we open the draft room. Dyson is what is causing you to have $89 and not $90 left and his contract should be B (maj-1) since he is a B contract but ML eligible.

Make sense?

EDIT: I made all the changes so we should be good now.
                        Last edited by Big Tymer; 03-14-2011, 06:55 PM.

Comment

I don't have much mixed experience, but looks like a solid stars and scrubs start.

No one can really say how doable this is. If the marketplace is sensible, you'll find it frustrating. But if all hell starts to break loose in the bidding, everyone will wish they had taken their approach. Even in the same league, the degree of sanity can vary from year to year.

I once kept 15 players for 210, and had a proxy draft for me as I was 3000 miles away. Won the league by a record 24 pts or so. Sometimes it really pays to have the talent beforehand...
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            Horns you forgot to mention that you're 2-time defending champ, so spare us your call for advice
                            Hey hey hey, wait a minute I won in 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
                              Hey hey hey, wait a minute I won in 2009.
                              Oh, that's right, my bad.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                              X