2K13: Nick Franklin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    What about brad miller? I've always read that Miller is more of a SS than Franklin.
    I heard he was pulling the 1B off the bag too often.

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
    This is all true, but long term, well, there isn't exactly anybody blocking Franklin at short. I would assume the Mariners' long-term plan is Ackley at second and Frankin at short assuming Franklin's defense can handle the position.
    I would not say that. It is easy to ignore the bat, but Brendan Ryan is uber solid defensively. Glove guys have hit like Ryan for 10-12 year careers. That said, an OPS above .600 would be welcome. Franklin could top .700.

J
    Last edited by onejayhawk; 05-28-2013, 03:59 PM.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      I heard he was pulling the 1B off the bag too often.

I would not say that. It is easy to ignore the bat, but Brendan Ryan is uber solid defensively. Glove guys have hit like Ryan for 10-12 year careers. That said, an OPS above .600 would be welcome. Franklin could top .700.

J
      Yes, I'm sure the SPs like Ryan, and if Ryan could get back to over .600 OPS and if Franklin's ceiling really was just .700 OPS, I'd say stick with Ryan. But I'd take at least a dozen pitchers over Ryan at the plate at this point, and I think Franklin has legit .750 OPS upside. But Ryan does have value, because he is great defensively. I'm sure another team will see that and want him, which seems to be the right move for Seattle, who is looking to rebuild with higher upside pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        Yes, I'm sure the SPs like Ryan, and if Ryan could get back to over .600 OPS and if Franklin's ceiling really was just .700 OPS, I'd say stick with Ryan. But I'd take at least a dozen pitchers over Ryan at the plate at this point, and I think Franklin has legit .750 OPS upside. But Ryan does have value, because he is great defensively. I'm sure another team will see that and want him, which seems to be the right move for Seattle, who is looking to rebuild with higher upside pieces.
        Managers like defense too. They also like stability, which a glove brings you.

I never said that Franklin's upside was only .700, but that is a realistic rookie ceiling. I would not be surprised to see Ryan stay at SS to TC next year.

In a side note, Wedge and I attended WSU at the same time. Mike Lansing and Pat Meares were on that team, which won the National Championship. I was doing some grad work in statistics.

J
        Last edited by onejayhawk; 05-28-2013, 07:30 PM.
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
          Managers like defense too. They also like stability, which a glove brings you.

I never said that Franklin's upside was only .700, but that is a realistic rookie ceiling. I would not be surprised to see Ryan stay at SS to TC next year.

In a side note, Wedge and I attended WSU at the same time. Mike Lansing and Pat Meares were on that team, which won the National Championship. I was doing some grad work in statistics.

J
          This is Ryan's last year on his contract. He'll be traded by the All Star break and won't be around next year with the M's in any capacity.

Comment

2 bombs today! Must have lit a fire under Brenday Ryan, as he hit one today as well (actually, his was first, so...). Some positive news for SEA fans!

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
              2 bombs today! Must have lit a fire under Brenday Ryan, as he hit one today as well (actually, his was first, so...). Some positive news for SEA fans!
              Yay positivity! Yay Nick Franklin!!!

Comment

What's awful about Franklin's day today is that this is exactly how I felt when Dustin Ackley first got called up and did so well in his first couple of months. Feelings can be so bittersweet with experience

Comment

I lucked into having him active for the 2 homerun performance (when your alternative is Danny Espinosa, pretty much anything is preferable), so I've enjoyed his stats so far. And I also agree that the multi-walk performance is a solid sign. He's translating his patient approach in Triple-A to the majors thus far, and that's a very positive sign.

I'm also encouraged that the Mariners former Triple-A manager, Darren Brown, has recently been promoted to the third base coach position in Seattle. Wedge is pretty horrible with the kids, but Brown has a pretty lengthy track record of working with the kids in Tacoma and helping them play to their strengths. I'd imagine his presence in Seattle could have a calming effect on Franklin when he starts to struggle. I don't trust Wedge for s---, but Brown is a guy that can help Franklin weather the storms to come.

Comment

Did anyone else notice that Yahoo has been calling him Edmundo?

Comment

Ackley is hitting very well at Tacoma, and rumor has it that he'll be recalled and Triunfel sent back down.
                      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                      -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                        Ackley is hitting very well at Tacoma, and rumor has it that he'll be recalled and Triunfel sent back down.
                        My gut says that they won't recall Ackley quite so quickly, especially with how long and bad he was at the big league level.

Also, Franklin hit second in the order today. He had his worst day at the plate, but that they're moving him up is nice for fantasy owners. Let's see if it sticks.

p.s. Where'd you read the rumor?

Comment

Working...
                        X