Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two-sport athletes

This exchange was in a Fangraphs chat today:

My friend insists that baseball is not a sport because all of the players are fat and unathletic compared to basketball players, and “it’s not a sport if you can eat a sandwich while you are playing it.” Can you please help me make him STFU?

Dave Cameron: Ask Michael Jordan about how easy baseball is.

It made me wonder about a couple things:

1) Has there ever been a two-sport athlete that was better at baseball than their other sport? The only ones I could think of were Jordan, Ainge, Bo, Deion, and that Michigan QB I can't think of the name of right now. Bo was very good at both but better at football I think and the others weren't close.

2) Has there ever been a baseball player that decided to try a second sport after becoming a pro?
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Well, Tom Glavine was drafted by the NHL, but he didn't actually play. Not sure if that counts.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
      and that Michigan QB I can't think of the name of right now. Bo was very good at both but better at football I think and the others weren't close.
      Drew Henson.

Assuming you want to limit it to guys who played both sports professionally a few that come to mind.

- Brian Jordan was a better baseball player than football player.
      - Mark Hendrickson was a better pitcher than he was a basketball player
      - Bob Gibson played for the Harlem Globetrotters
      - Fergie Jenkins played for the Harlem Globetrotters
      - Dave Winfield was drafted by professional teams in baseball, football and basketball before committing to baseball.

While he wasn't a pro, Kirk Gibson was an All-American Wide Receiver, but elected to play baseball.

Comment

Ron Reed pitched for almost 20 years and played with the Detroit Pistons for a year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          - Dave Winfield was drafted by professional teams in baseball, football and basketball before committing to baseball.
          He was actually drafted by four professional teams.

Padres (MLB)
          Vikings (NFL)
          Hawks (NBA)
          Utah Stars (ABA)

I'm pretty sure this is the only time this has happened.
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
            1) Has there ever been a two-sport athlete that was better at baseball than their other sport? The only ones I could think of were Jordan, Ainge, Bo, Deion, and that Michigan QB I can't think of the name of right now. Bo was very good at both but better at football I think and the others weren't close.
            Not sure what you mean exactly, because you listed players who were better at their other sport than baseball, which is the opposite of your question. But there's been many, many two sport athletes that were good or very good at both. In addition to those named, some other recent 2-sport athletes who come to mind were Chad Hutchinson, DJ Dozier, Jeff Samardzija (All-American WR at Notre Dame), Jackie Robinson, Mark Hendrickson (played 4 seasons in the NBA), Todd Helton (QB for UTenn), Dave DeBusschere, Scott Burrell, John Elway, Josh Booty & Russell Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              Not sure what you mean exactly, because you listed players who were better at their other sport than baseball, which is the opposite of your question. But there's been many, many two sport athletes that were good or very good at both. In addition to those named, some other recent 2-sport athletes who come to mind were Chad Hutchinson, DJ Dozier, Jeff Samardzija (All-American WR at Notre Dame), Jackie Robinson, Mark Hendrickson (played 4 seasons in the NBA), Todd Helton (QB for UTenn), Dave DeBusschere, Scott Burrell, John Elway, Josh Booty & Russell Wilson.
              Dave DeBusschere played baseball for the WhiteSox before he played basketball for the Knicks. But he was much better at Basketball.

Also, I believe Kenny Lofton was the point guard on an NCAA championship basketball team and was drafted by an NBA team before he played pro baseball. Yes, I'd say he was better at baseball.

Comment

Working...
              X