No announcement yet.

Brian Cashman: Last Year as Yank GM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... or it could all be a tempest in a teapot.
    Over the weekend, a report in the Chicago Tribune suggested that, should the Red Sox trade Carl Crawford over the course of his seven-year, $142 million contract, the deal mandates that the team acquiring him would be prohibited from subsequently dealing the outfielder to the Yankees. However, a team source said that the report was inaccurate, and that there is no such contract clause.

Crawford’s deal does include limited no-trade protection. The Sox reportedly have the right to select 28 clubs to whom he can be traded without his consent; Crawford, in turn, gets to eliminate two of those teams
    http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/bos...d-the-yankees/
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

I'm not sure why it would bother anyone in the Yankee front office. Does anyone think the Yankees wanted Carl Crawford this season and they lost out on him? If so, where was the Cliff Lee-like push? Does anyone believe the Yankees will be upset they will never be able to take on that contract, if that is even the case?

If I were a Steinbrenner I'd lean back in my chair and laugh, "Look at those silly Red Sox and their inferiority complex showing through again. Guess they aren't as buoyed by our rotation issues as everyone seems to think they should be."
      Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        Classic.

Yes, certainly the Crawford no-trade clause indicates that the Red Sox are not buoyed by the Yankee rotation issues. Makes sense.
        You're right it does make sense. Apparently other people think the Yanks have sunk to the Orioles' level due to their starting rotation. Are the Red Sox putting restrictions on trades to the Orioles now too?

Apparently, per Bob, it never happened, so fine, we can drop it. But if they had done it, it would indicate they still view the Yankees as a threat, otherwise what was the point?
        Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
          You're right it does make sense. Apparently other people think the Yanks have sunk to the Orioles' level due to their starting rotation. Are the Red Sox putting restrictions on trades to the Orioles now too?

Apparently, per Bob, it never happened, so fine, we can drop it. But if they had done it, it would indicate they still view the Yankees as a threat, otherwise what was the point?
          Did Boston say the Yanks weren't a threat? It's obvious that with their resources they are always a few trades away from being a serious threat.

I also can't believe you are still talking about this, especially for someone that doesn't care.
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

What the f*ck? It's becoming more and more like listening to the insane rantings of a paranoid schizophrenic. Of course the Yankees are a threat. They're a division rival with the largest wallet in baseball.
            I think he's finally losing his mind. We need actual baseball games to help him, I think he's going through serious withdrawals.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
              Did Boston say the Yanks weren't a threat? It's obvious that with their resources they are always a few trades away from being a serious threat.

I also can't believe you are still talking about this, especially for someone that doesn't care.
              No, the Red Sox said the exact opposite with their no trade restriction, which apparently doesn't exist anyway. eld took exception to my characterization of Hank sitting back in his chair taking satisfaction in the fact the Red Sox are still running scared despite the weakened Yankee rotation. eld is the one who seems to think the Red Sox should be supremely confident the Yanks are no longer a threat.

And I never said I don't care, I said it wouldn't bother me if the Red Sox had put the clause in because I like that they feel the need to go to such lengths.

Comment

OK, can we talk about something else now?

Are the Yankees really going to start the year with Sergio Mitre in their rotation?
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Yes, but only as part of a ploy to dupe the Red Sox into thinking that they are no longer a threat! :secretariat:
                  LOL

Maybe they will send Jeter and ARod to AAA to really lull the Red Sox into a false sense of security.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

LOL

Maybe they will send Jeter and ARod to AAA to really lull the Red Sox into a false sense of security.
                    See, you are both missing the whole point, the Yanks don't do ridiculous things in attempt to thwart the Red Sox, they simply worry about themselves and making their team the best it can be.

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    OK, can we talk about something else now?

Are the Yankees really going to start the year with Sergio Mitre in their rotation?
                    I would bet the Yankee rotation would now be:

CC
                    Hughes
                    A.J.
                    Nova
                    Garcia/Colon

hopefully with Pettitte eventually slotting in there.

Comment

See, you are both missing the whole point, the Yanks don't do ridiculous things in attempt to thwart the Red Sox, they simply worry about themselves and making their team the best it can be.
                      Right, cause signing Key Igawa to a horrible contract right after the Red Sox signed Dice-K wasn't ridiculous.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Mo, Garcia, and Colon --- that was one hell of a 1999 Cy Young ballot

Comment

Right, cause signing Key Igawa to a horrible contract right after the Red Sox signed Dice-K wasn't ridiculous.
                          Come on, you really think the Yanks thought they were keeping up by doing that? Both teams way overextended for an unknown and both flopped, but I seriously doubt the Yanks thought, "We'll show them, we'll get our own Dice-K."

They may have thought, "Hmm, that might be a good idea, let's take a shot at this too." but they couldn't have thought "Oh my gosh, the Red Sox just signed a Japanese pitcher, we need one too."

Also, it certainly wasn't to thwart the Red Sox, as I doubt they had interest in Igawa too.

If the Red Sox do something the Yankees think makes sense and might, or does, work, there's nothing wrong with copying it. Unfortunately in the Japanese pitcher case, they followed a bad lead.

I don't think I've ever said the Yanks have never made a mistake, I just said they don't lower themselves to the petty jealousy and inferiority. Hank might get a little petty on occasion, but it's certainly not due to jealousy.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                            Mo, Garcia, and Colon --- that was one hell of a 1999 Cy Young ballot
                            Yankee fans will have to forgive Jason this kind of stuff-- we'd probably be doing it too if we had to contemplate an entire season of looking up the ladder at Peter Angelos' ass

And TC, dude, please put down the shovel. I get what you're trying to say but you're so deep in that hole I'm about to call in the company that rescued the Peruvian miners to get you back out! And as much as it pains me to say it, Kei Igawa was totally a reaction to the Dice-K signing. Has there really ever been a question on that?
                            Last edited by Bob Kohm; 02-01-2011, 03:16 PM.
                            "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

...but they couldn't have thought "Oh my gosh, the Red Sox just signed a Japanese pitcher, we need one too."
                              That is EXACTLY what happened. Red Sox made headlines with their move and the Yankees wanted to be in the paper with their own headlines.

You are going well beyond ridiculous here. Just give it a rest.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

The Yanks and the Sox have long been fascinated with what the other team is doing. I thought this was common knowledge. So what? You should pay very close attention to what your enemy is doing.
                                After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Working...
                                X