No announcement yet.

Brian Cashman: Last Year as Yank GM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having quite a bit of personal experience with Levine from back int he days when he was one of Rudy Giuliani's Deputy Mayors I am totally unsurprised that his ego is exercising itself in this way. The guy is a creep and the fact that George is no longer there to keep him in his "useful box"-- negotiating business deals and labor agreements-- portends bad things for the Yankees.
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      Somehow the Yankees really bungled this off-season, screwing around with Jeter for too long and doing it way too publicly, then missing out on Lee, turning Andy Pettitte into Brett Favre and generally turning everyone off. I'm not sure how much of it was Cashman's doing, but I don't think things would be better for the Yankees without him.
      ....and, at the same WFAN event as the Jeter to the OF comment, Cashman says that "Joba has not been the same pitcher since his shoulder injury in 2008." It's refreshing to hear the honesty, but this is also a pitcher who they said they would deal for a starting pitcher just a couple of weeks before.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        ....and, at the same WFAN event as the Jeter to the OF comment, Cashman says that "Joba has not been the same pitcher since his shoulder injury in 2008." It's refreshing to hear the honesty, but this is also a pitcher who they said they would deal for a starting pitcher just a couple of weeks before.
        He flat out said Joba is in the pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
          Having quite a bit of personal experience with Levine from back int he days when he was one of Rudy Giuliani's Deputy Mayors I am totally unsurprised that his ego is exercising itself in this way. The guy is a creep and the fact that George is no longer there to keep him in his "useful box"-- negotiating business deals and labor agreements-- portends bad things for the Yankees.
          I love comments like that. I'm curious, though--Is Levine just a creep in general, or a creep even by NYC standards?

IMO the Yankees are becoming a case of "too many chiefs, not enough Indians". It looks like too many guys are throwing their weight around, trying to be The Boss.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

Rotoworld:

The Yankees want to retain general manager Brian Cashman once his contract expires after this coming season.
            Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner said he "absolutely" wants Cashman to return. Cashman, in turn, expressed his desire to remain in the Big Apple. "Am I trying to get fired? Absolutely not," Cashman said. Cashman clashed with management over the signing of Rafael Soriano, but apparently the rift has been smoothed. Steinbrenner, in fact, called the controversy "drummed-up drama."
            "Am I trying to get fired? Absolutely not," Cashman said. I think it's funny to have to say that.
            Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Randy Levine is a creep by anyone's definition-- he's always been the first person to throw around the weight reflected on to him by the powerful people he's served whether a situation might justify it or not. In terms of his days under Rudy Giuliani, he served as the Mayor's point person in many municipal labor negotiations, always a dirty business. Levine would reach deep-- I'll protect myself and say "I've been told" that he'd have his staff doing oppo on the spouses and kids of those he was negotiating with and quite frequently (and gratuitously) used what he'd found, sometimes revealing extramarital affairs or outing someone simply because he could even if it gave him no material advantage in the negotiation. The only thing that ever keeps Levine in check is the fact that, like most bullies, he's an inveterate coward and any cross look from his superior (be it Giuliani or George Steinbrenner) was enough to get him to put away his sh1t-heel personality flaws until he was told to bring them back out of the box. Now that he has this split Steinbrenner Junior structure above him and Brian Cashman (whom I can just about guarantee despises him and whom he despises based on their personalities and approaches) below him, it is totally Levine's personality to try and break off the shackles "unjustly" put upon him and to finally ascend to his god given position of boss. If nobody snaps the leash on this bitch he'll throw the Yankees back into a 1965-style tail spin.
              Last edited by Bob Kohm; 01-28-2011, 03:45 PM.
              "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
                "Am I trying to get fired? Absolutely not," Cashman said. I think it's funny to have to say that.
                I think anybody who does say that is obviously writing his departure ticket.

Comment

Randy Levine is a creep by anyone's definition-- he's always been the first person to throw around the weight reflected on to him by the powerful people he's served whether a situation might justify it or not. In terms of his days under Rudy Giuliani, he served as the Mayor's point person in many municipal labor negotiations, always a dirty business. Levine would reach deep-- I'll protect myself and say "I've been told" that he'd have his staff doing oppo on the spouses and kids of those he was negotiating with and quite frequently (and gratuitously) used what he'd found, sometimes revealing extramarital affairs or outing someone simply because he could even if it gave him no material advantage in the negotiation. The only thing that ever keeps Levine in check is the fact that, like most bullies, he's an inveterate coward and any cross look from his superior (be it Giuliani or George Steinbrenner) was enough to get him to put away his sh1t-heel personality flaws until he was told to bring them back out of the box. Now that he has this split Steinbrenner Junior structure above him and Brian Cashman (whom I can just about guarantee despises him and whom he despises based on their personalities and approaches) below him, it is totally Levine's personality to try and break off the shackles "unjustly" put upon him and to finally ascend to his god given position of boss. If nobody snaps the leash on this bitch he'll throw the Yankees back into a 1965-style tail spin.
                  So if I'm reading this right, (a) he's not a nice person, (b) he hides behind powerful people, (c) he dumps on people just for fun, and (d) you don't like him.

He sounds like my last boss in my last corporate world position. uke:

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                  -- William James

Comment

I can say objectively that several people have given me exactly Bhob's perspective on Mr. Levine across the board.

He also is getting killed these moments in the bloggo/twittosphere for Yankees taxpayer-funded subsidies re stadium that his critics are callng "welfare" as well.....
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I think anybody who does say that is obviously writing his departure ticket.
                      That's exactly what I was thinking too. I like Cashman but it is pretty obvious he wants something else at this point.

Comment

Randy Levine is a creep by anyone's definition-- he's always been the first person to throw around the weight reflected on to him by the powerful people he's served whether a situation might justify it or not. .....
                        And just yesterday, Randy Levine had this nugget about Chuck Greenberg -- owner of the defending AL champs:
                        "I think Chuck is delusional [about their last-minute meeting with Cliff Lee changing his mind about signing with the Yanks]," Levine told ESPNewYork.com. "He has been running the Rangers for a few minutes and seems to believe he's mastered what everyone else is thinking. I think he should let Cliff Lee speak for himself. I'll be impressed when he demonstrates he can keep the Rangers off welfare. What I mean is make them not be a revenue-sharing recipient for three years in a row, without taking financing from baseball or advance money from television networks. Then I'll be impressed."

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          Clearly Chuck Greenberg should be overly concerned with whether Levine is impressed with him.

What an ass.
                          Greenberg should walk up to Levine and say one word--"Scoreboard". Then walk away before the a** can come up with anything.

In addition, he should put Levine on the "No Admittance" list for the security guys at his ballpark. "Sorry, Mr. Levine, but it says here that you're a stuck-up a-hole who doesn't know sh** about baseball, and that our ballpark shouldn't be polluted with your presence. Go pound sand."

Seriously, who the f*** IS Randy Levine that his comments should matter to anyone?

-- William James

Comment

Levine may be an ass, but that doesn't make him wrong about what he said about Greenberg or about what Greenberg said about the Cliff Lee situation.

Greenberg's statements already indicate an unusual fixation with the Yankees, so maybe he is concerned with what Levine thinks. Greenberg should remember he was a loser in that situation as well. Greenberg asked for Levine's response.

And as far as scoreboard goes, I'm pretty sure when it comes to results, no one would trade the Yankees' for Texas'.
                            Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Comment

Very true. Greenberg may be a hero in Texas, doesn't mean he isn't just as much of an *** as Levine.

Comment

Speaking of unusual fixation with the Yankees, which side asked for this and why would either side do this?

Carl Crawford's $142 million contract with the Red Sox prohibits him from being traded to the Yankees via another team.
                                Why merely sign a perennial All-Star when you also can set up a roadblock for your biggest rival? For now, Red Sox Nation can sleep well knowing they've locked up a 5-tool player in his prime. He's not going anywhere any time soon.
                                Rotoworld

The note implies the Red Sox insisted on that. First of all, why would the Yanks want to be saddled with a contract that only gets less attractive every season and second, do you think the Yankees ever think about restricting players from going to the Red Sox? It's embarrassing.

Comment

Working...
                                X