2K13: Joey Votto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K13: Joey Votto

Now that I'm a newly minted Votto owner, I thought I'd open a thread for him. As many of you read in some other posts, I don't think Votto is elite any more due to his proclivity to look for the walk over all else when he's at the plate. This is going to hurt his bottom line in RBI as well as Homeruns, and that's to his owners' detriment. Owning him reminds me a little of being a Barry Bonds owner circa his latter years where he puts up an 0-for-2 with two walks and a run and that's pretty much what it felt like Bonds did every single night when he didn't homer. Unfortunately, Votto doesn't have Bonds' power, so the homers are fewer and far between.

I'm hoping I'm wrong (mostly since I just dealt for him), but Votto seems like a .310, 22 HR, 8 SB, 105 Runs, 85 RBI guy now, and while that's good, it's no longer elite.

I have to laugh when someone is complaining about lack of power, when they have Votto. Granted, he is not Ruthian, but .567 SLG is nothing to sneeze at. that was 2012, his bad year. 2013 is still young, and he is a streaky hitter.

J

PS Votto's walk rate is down from last year.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      I have to laugh when someone is complaining about lack of power, when they have Votto. Granted, he is not Ruthian, but .567 SLG is nothing to sneeze at. that was 2012, his bad year. 2013 is still young, and he is a streaky hitter.

J

PS Votto's walk rate is down from last year.
      I'm not trying to be a whiner. I like the guy just fine

All I'm suggesting is that Votto himself has said he won't generate as many homeruns as he used to thanks to his more level swing plane. And slugging percentage doesn't really mean much in fantasy. It's just as much a function of a high batting average as it is a hitter's power. I prefer to look at ISO, but even ISO doesn't tell the whole story about Votto since he can hit so many doubles with his refined swing. The take home message here is that I just don't see Votto being quite the valuable fantasy asset that he used to be is all. He's still very good, but he's maybe more akin to a Top 15-20 talent instead of Top 5-10.

Comment

Depends on your league parameters, too. His value goes up immensely in a league like mine, where we use OBP and SLG instead of BA and HR. While he's 1st round talent (and still top 6, IMO) with my league parameters, I agree with Bodz that he simply doesn't carry the same value in a traditional 5x5 league - and gets hurt even worse in a traditional 4x4 league, where his high runs total doesn't help.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I too traded for Votto this year--at the start of the year. While I am a little disappointed in his production so far, I also own Matt Kemp, so that helps me keep Votto's performance in perspective . Seriously, I think there is something to him falling off some because of his approach, but I still fully expect greater things to come. One of my greatest weaknesses at this game is bailing on poor early season performances, but I wouldn't think of selling Votto for anything less than a top 10 player, because that is what I think he'll be from here on out.

In fact, if you were serious in an earlier post about thinking Votto won't surpass 90 rbis this year, I'd be up for a friendly wager on that. I couldn't think of making you do away with the iconic marshmallow man, but maybe a change in location to humble-ville, USA or something. Or something in Canada, because Votto is Canadian . The bottom line is, while Votto have already seen his best seasons, I still think he is a top 3 1bman, and a top 10 bat the rest of the way, and since you just traded for him, that should be what matters more than his overall stat line (even your modest season projections concedes an uptick in power and rbis, since he is currently only on pace for 17 homers and 66 rbis).
          Last edited by Sour Masher; 05-14-2013, 10:23 PM.

Comment

In a 20 team dynasty with Bodz and I just traded Soler and Goldy for Votto and Ozuna. I am slightly concerned about the power but even more concerned that sucky OBP guy Cozart continues to bat in the two-hole. Votto will heat up. This Reds lineup has been very choppy to start the year and I am amazed I am saying this but Ludwicks right handed bat has hurt this lineup both balance-wise and because Phillips would bat second with Ludwick back.
            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              In a 20 team dynasty with Bodz and I just traded Soler and Goldy for Votto and Ozuna. I am slightly concerned about the power but even more concerned that sucky OBP guy Cozart continues to bat in the two-hole. Votto will heat up. This Reds lineup has been very choppy to start the year and I am amazed I am saying this but Ludwicks right handed bat has hurt this lineup both balance-wise and because Phillips would bat second with Ludwick back.
              Fun note: I got an email from the other owner yesterday asking me what I thought of Goldschmidt vs. Votto. You can probably guess what I said, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                Fun note: I got an email from the other owner yesterday asking me what I thought of Goldschmidt vs. Votto. You can probably guess what I said, lol.
                yea. It wasn't easy for me as I love Goldy but I think itll be very close and I also prefer Ozuna's help now rather than waiting a few years on Soler. I understand some saying I got the short end.
                After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  In fact, if you were serious in an earlier post about thinking Votto won't surpass 90 rbis this year, I'd be up for a friendly wager on that. I couldn't think of making you do away with the iconic marshmallow man, but maybe a change in location to humble-ville, USA or something. Or something in Canada, because Votto is Canadian . The bottom line is, while Votto have already seen his best seasons, I still think he is a top 3 1bman, and a top 10 bat the rest of the way, and since you just traded for him, that should be what matters more than his overall stat line (even your modest season projections concedes an uptick in power and rbis, since he is currently only on pace for 17 homers and 66 rbis).
                  I'm in! 90 RBI -- if he reaches that mark or above, you get to re-name my location. If he comes in below 90, I get to re-name yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                    I'm in! 90 RBI -- if he reaches that mark or above, you get to re-name my location. If he comes in below 90, I get to re-name yours.
                    Cool. Since we both own him, I imagine we will both be rooting for you to lose.

Comment

Working...
                    X