Grandal worth rostering right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandal worth rostering right now?

Mixed 12-team keeper league (no salaries, 3yrs max), 14 active hitters, 8 active pitchers, 8 bench spots.

Is it worth picking up Grandal right now and waiting a few more weeks for him to be active, or should I let him be someone else's concern? Or try to pick him up closer to the 50-game mark and hope no one else claims him before then? I've been keeping an eye on him, but I'm not sure if I want to pick him up and hold him or not. We play 2 catchers, and I like to carry a third with 8 bench spots so I can sub for my starters when they have a day off. But there are questions with Grandal...how will the layoff affect him? What kind of hitter will he be without the PEDs? Will he start in AAA to get him ABs and get him going? Will he just be a backup to Hundley, who was hitting the ball well until a recent 0-for-20 slump?

I've got a solid team that is currently in 2nd, and I think I can handle carrying an inactive player at the moment.

Thoughts? And sorry if I sound like an idiot...it's because I am, lol.

I'm sure I'm biased since I'm a Grandal owner myself, but... if the Padres management is sabermetrically inclined, which I don't know if they are, they can't be too impressed with Hundley. He has the 14th worst walk rate and the 7th worst K rate in the National League and the 12th highest BABIP. That doesn't sound like a recipe for success.

That said, Grandal could be a lot worse without the PEDs for all I know, but if he's decent and with the fences moved in a bit at Petco, he could be relevant.

I have him in a 10-team NL-only and I'm happy about it (and been offered a pretty good trade for him that I am still waffling over -- if anyone has an opinion on Gallardo and an expiring Jansen for a $5/year 1 Grandal and Darin Ruf, feel free). In 12-team mixed maybe he isn't as exciting?
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I think he's worth the risk, especially if you have bench spots.

Comment

I own Grandal and am a fan, but that's in a 12-team NL-only. I think the plan was for Hundley and Grandal to split time when he first comes back up, so I wouldn't expect too much right away this year. But I do think he'll win the job as the year progresses. I've owned Hundley in recent years too; Hundley's BA usually sucks since he K's so much.

24 catchers start in your league, so, say, roughly 12 NL catchers owned? I count 8 NL catchers who I'd clearly rather have than Grandal for this year. Posey-Molina-Rosario-Montero-LuCroy-Ruiz-McCann-Martin. And Buck and probably even AJ Ellis, since they are getting regular ok at bats.

That puts Grandal at 11th in the NL right now in my book, because of his upside, ahead of timeshare situations Washington and Cincy catchers and scrubs Wellington Castillo and Brantly. Not sure how the AL compares, but if their catchers are similar, I'd say he is probably just barely worth rostering for this year, but he'd still be a worthwhile keeper, depending on how many you can keep.

Comment

I would grab him while you can. He may be able to help you and he could be worth something good in a trade.

Comment

Working...
          X