Matt Kemp is a Cool Dude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Kemp is a Cool Dude

After the Dodger-Giant game this past weekend, Matt Kemp gives a young disabled man an autographed ball, his hat, his jersey and his shoes.

This is nice to see. There is an autograph hound in my league--nice guy, but I'm uncomfortable and don't agree with his turning this fan service into a business (going so far as to use his young daughters to bait players)--who hates Kemp, because he'll never give him an autograph. I'm guessing after seeing this that he got turned off by my league mate insisting that he sign "on the sweet spot." If I were a player, I think I too would refuse to sign for folks who I thought only wanted my signature to sell. I'd hope that, conversely, I'd be generous with my time and resources with those who legitimately appreciate it.

I really don't like that these mementos have turned into such big business, but, if he is to be believed, he makes thousands of dollars a year collecting, trading, buying and selling signed sports stuff. I'd never do that myself, but it is what it is I guess.

Comment

Ball and jersey: cool
      Hat: meh
      Shoes: weird

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Outstanding, truly outstanding. Matt Kemp may be my favorite player, between this and confronting that peckerhead Quentin, I've got a serious mancrush.
        Last edited by Hornsby; 05-07-2013, 10:12 PM.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Yeah, it's a pretty great moment. You can tell Wallach talks to Kemp, and he 'gets it.'

And I assume this isn't some 'setup' by dodgers.com - sure looks genuine

a minute of Kemp's time, and a collection of people will talk about it for decades
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

the look on the kid's face is outstanding. truly a great and selfless act.
            "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              Yeah, it's a pretty great moment. You can tell Wallach talks to Kemp, and he 'gets it.'

And I assume this isn't some 'setup' by dodgers.com - sure looks genuine

a minute of Kemp's time, and a collection of people will talk about it for decades
              From what I understand, the father called out to Wallach and told him Kemp was his son's favorite player.

Comment

Now he just needs to hit some homers and he'll be a super cool dude, amirite?

Comment

Agreed, eld. What I really like is that neither Kemp nor the Dodgers tried to make a big publicity deal out of it. It was a small, classy gesture to a kid who seemed to appreciate it--and who needed all the small acts of kindness possible.
                  Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                  -- William James

Comment

These kinds of stories really make a baseball fan appreciate the opposing teams and players.

Not to take anything away from the kindness and generosity of Matt Kemp, but here's a similar story about Bryce Harper.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...th-gavin-rupp/

The terminally ill 13 year old boy that Harper invited onto the field and traded wrist bands with also died recently.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      These kinds of stories really make a baseball fan appreciate the opposing teams and players.

Not to take anything away from the kindness and generosity of Matt Kemp, but here's a similar story about Bryce Harper.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...th-gavin-rupp/

The terminally ill 13 year old boy that Harper invited onto the field and traded wrist bands with also died recently.
                      Another great story. Harper sometimes comes off as a little too me-first, so it's nice to read about him doing something selfless and cool.
                      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                      -- William James

Comment

I once covered a small-town NY thing where Gordie Howe and Bobby Hull showed up at a fundraiser for a young kid with cancer.

They both were very gracious with their time, the kid loved it, and 100+ family and friends got a thrill.

Same kick in the teeth the next year when the kid didn't make it, but nobody who was there ever forgot it as long as they lived, and this was about 25 years ago...
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                        X