Curse of the defending champ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curse of the defending champ..

In my hometown 24 year old league we have had a repeat champ exactly one time. Since i won last year i pretty much feel i have a next to zero chance of defending the title this year. So much has to go exactly right to win a league title that it happening two years in a row is not something i think will happen this season for my team.

Any thoughts on this? How often has an owner repeated in your league?
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

In order for us to win our league we must trade away most good rookies and cheap keepers to finish in first place. This make it very problematic to win a second year. If we do not do this we can have several years in the money but not take home first place.

Comment

30th year league

same owner won 1988-89 and 1995-96
      has not won since, and rarely in the money anymore

only other repeat winner is me in 2004-05

and I seem to over the hill as well!

also ONLY time I ever won and finished in the money the next year, too

good topic
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I had a freakish run where I finished 1st, 2nd, 1st, and then I fell off the table to 14th. I used every last one of my minor league chips, young players, and sheer luck during that run, and it showed up the year I finished 14th.

I'm still bitter about the 2nd place finish, the eventual winner made a trade that I couldn't match and broke away for the title.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

29th year league, five owners have multiple championships, for a total of six repeats and one four-peat,and a possible three-peat this year.

Owner A won in 1986, 1987, 1990, 1991, 1994
          Owner B won in 1985, 1988, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002
          Owner C won in 1989, 1997
          Owner D won in 1992, 2005
          Owner E won in 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and is currently in first.

I am Owner E.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
            29th year league, five owners have multiple championships, for a total of six repeats and one four-peat,and a possible three-peat this year.

Owner E won in 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and is currently in first.

I am Owner E.
            How do you win 8 times in 10 years? That's insane. I can't help but question the competition in your league.

My league had a 7 year run where we had 7 different winners.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Amazing run Dane. I hope to end up in a league with you next year, as that is some serious voodoo going down to win 8 times in 10 years unless it is just a casual friends league where 1/2 the guys show up at auction just to drink and eat bbq, or you are a jedi.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                How do you win 8 times in 10 years? That's insane. I can't help but question the competition in your league.

My league had a 7 year run where we had 7 different winners.
                This league also had a streak of 7 years with 7 different winners.

I will admit that a couple of those championships are some cheap wins in years with some turnover. The first two were tough hard-fought wins. My first year in the league 1996, so it took me eight years to win one and most of the league were original members. The league kinda fell apart in 2006 and we've since built it back up. Jude Baldo is in the league. There are some soft owners, but there are several VERY good owners, as good as any I've played with in any league, and very little turnover in the last five or six years. When I run FAAB, it is common for all twelve owners to put in bids. It isn't a totally weak league, by any means.

Comment

This league also had a streak of 7 years with 7 different winners.

I will admit that a couple of those championships are some cheap wins in years with some turnover. The first two were tough hard-fought wins. My first year in the league 1996, so it took me eight years to win one and most of the league were original members. The league kinda fell apart in 2006 and we've since built it back up. Jude Baldo is in the league. There are some soft owners, but there are several VERY good owners, as good as any I've played with in any league, and very little turnover in the last five or six years. When I run FAAB, it is common for all twelve owners to put in bids. It isn't a totally weak league, by any means.
                  Thanks for the rundown. But still 8 wins in ten years just should not be possible!!

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                    you are a jedi.
                    I wish. I'm in four NL-only leagues and have 14 titles between them (a total of 36 seasons). I've won all of them at least once, including my first year in Fresno Bob's league, two years ago.

Comment

I wish. I'm in four NL-only leagues and have 14 titles between them (a total of 36 seasons). I've won all of them at least once, including my first year in Fresno Bob's league, two years ago.
                      The so-called "experts" should be asking you for fantasy advice!!!

Comment

I am Owner E.
                        So how did you screw up 2005 and 2010? I keed, I keed...seriously, a hell of a run.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Thanks for the rundown. But still 8 wins in ten years just should not be possible!!
                          Yeah, well, like I said, I'll claim five of them as tributes to my skills and three I'll chalk up to me taking advantage of a league in flux... better than the other guys could.

Comment

The so-called "experts" should be asking you for fantasy advice!!!
                            If only I could have won the damn LABR in 2004. THAT would have been a nice one. I was in first all season and dropped out on the last week. I had those guys...

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              So how did you screw up 2005 and 2010? I keed, I keed...seriously, a hell of a run.
                              Both were full-on rebuilds. I finished near the bottom, I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X