Stephen Strasburg's first full season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen Strasburg's first full season

It looks like Washington has indeed taken the reigns off of Strasburg in 2013. After throwing just 80 pitches on opening day, he has had pitch counts of 114,112,111,110. I don't think he was allowed to reach 100 pitches in a game last year. Today was his first game pitched on four days rest. Until today he was pitching with five days rest, so maybe that helped compensate for the higher pitch counts. Although, some pitchers will tell you that the extra day of rest hurts them more than it helps. Any concerns about how Strasburg is being handled so far?
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

from Rotoworld:

Nationals manager Davey Johnson revealed after Monday's game that Stephen Strasburg is dealing with tightness in his right forearm.
    Uh oh. The Nationals are giving Strasburg medication and will have him evaluated by team doctors before it's determined whether he'll make his next scheduled start. You'd have to think, especially with Strasburg having previously undergone Tommy John surgery, that the club will play it safe and hold him out for at least one outing. The right-hander holds an un-Strasburg-like 3.13 ERA and a 1.21 WHIP this season. Apr 29 - 10:21 PM
    Source: Dan Kolko on Twitter
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
      from Rotoworld:

Nationals manager Davey Johnson revealed after Monday's game that Stephen Strasburg is dealing with tightness in his right forearm.
      Uh oh. The Nationals are giving Strasburg medication and will have him evaluated by team doctors before it's determined whether he'll make his next scheduled start. You'd have to think, especially with Strasburg having previously undergone Tommy John surgery, that the club will play it safe and hold him out for at least one outing. The right-hander holds an un-Strasburg-like 3.13 ERA and a 1.21 WHIP this season. Apr 29 - 10:21 PM
      Source: Dan Kolko on Twitter
      The numbers are actually pretty good, he just hasn't gotten much luck on wins & losses. It should be noted that Strasburg says he is fine and will definitely make his next start.

Comment

it won't happen this season. He left hurt tonight after 2 innings. No details yet

Comment

Apparently shaking his shoulder...trying to get it loose perhaps? No matter, not a good sign...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

velo readings fell way off after pitch 25

Comment

Fantastic...

No sarcasm at all.

Comment

I just really hate to see such a rare talent go down with injury at such a young age...bad for all of baseball. And the Nats, damn, they're kind of snakebit...Harper's all banged up as well.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP 10m
                  Source: Stephen Strasburg left tonight’s game with a muscular issue in his back, not an arm injury.
                  That's good news for his career, but the Nats will not let him pitch if anything is wrong with his back since that will throw off his mechanics and risk further injury. Over/under missed time: 1 month. Anyone wanna take the under?
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    That's good news for his career, but the Nats will not let him pitch if anything is wrong with his back since that will throw off his mechanics and risk further injury. Over/under missed time: 1 month. Anyone wanna take the under?
                    Nope, I think that's a solid call...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

The 2 best players, by far, on our last-place team are Kemp and Strasburg.

This could cut into the miraculous comeback...
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Stephen Strasburg - S - Nationals
                        Stephen Strasburg suffered a strained right oblique in Friday's start against the Braves, according to Nationals manager Davey Johnson.

Strasburg will be evaluated by the team doctor in the next few days, but there aren't many outcomes that won't see the right-hander wind up on the disabled list. Oblique injuries are a fickle beast, as they tend to heal at their own pace, so there's really no way to predict just how long Strasburg will be sidelined with the injury. Expect at least a trip to the 15-day DL and go from there.
                        Per Rotoworld

-Warren Ellis

Comment

The day before Strasburg Got hurt i picked up Mike Leake even though i really didn't need another pitcher. I was just looking at Leake's numbers from his last several starts and liked what i saw. So, i said to myself "you can never have too much pitching". One day later i need him to replace Strasburg.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            Per Rotoworld
                            From an owner's standpoint, this is a best case scenario. So while it's going to suck to be without him for a month or more, it certainly could be worse. Visions of Mark Prior are dancing through my head right now (you guys will remember I just traded a lot to acquire Stras in a dynasty -- the same dynasty where I once owned Prior till the bitter end).

In any case, the oblique injury is a pseudo weird one for a pitcher, but not unheard of. Cliff Lee's had it a couple times and has recovered well in all incidents. Other pitchers have done the same. We're probably looking at 4-6 weeks, so plan accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                            X