Wheeler
    Polanco
    Wong
    Arenado
    Josh Bell
    Nimmo
    SzcZur
    JR Graham

Any of these guys worth trading for 2013 production?

I am sorry, I am not understanding the question. Are these guys you own and want to trade for 2013 production. Or are these guys you want to trade for to get some 2013 production?

Comment

Well, it's not a bad list, definitely some pieces here...

Tier 1
      Arenado. He's a hitter an extreme hitters environment and he's nearly ready. In my opinion, there is no more valuable a prospect than one that follows that short list of traits.

Tier 2
      Wheeler. Some people would likely put him over Arenado, and I wouldn't argue with them, but in my experience, pitching prospects need to be valued quite a bit lower because they are all, sadly, pitchers.
      Wong. Not nearly the prospect Wheeler is but he's a hitter and he's ready. Plus, he's a MI bat with offensive upside.

Tier 3

d'Arnaund. Would have been in Tier 1, if not for the injury.
      Polanco, Bell, Nimmo. Too far away to tell much, but Polanco looks good to me.
      Graham. Too bad he's a pitcher.

Tier Z
      Szczur. Also too far off to get a good read, but it sure feels like we should know something by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        I am sorry, I am not understanding the question. Are these guys you own and want to trade for 2013 production. Or are these guys you want to trade for to get some 2013 production?
        duh, I did not see the title that said rank my farm team.

All of these would have some trade value in my NL only league. d' Arnaud, Arenado, Wheeler, Nimmo I think would have the most value and in this order.

Comment

I would add that the injury to d'Arnaud would not have that much impact to a team rebuilding (although they may say it to drive the price down).

Comment

I might downgrade Wong a bit just because it looks like Carpenter might actually block him for a little while, but we'll see how the experiment is going in a month or two. For now Carpenter hasn't made an error yet at 2B and he's fourth among NL 2B in wRC+. Otherwise I agree with Dane, although it also depends on your contract structure. Holding on to single-A players can have a big opportunity cost if they're unlikely to become stars.
            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
              Well, it's not a bad list, definitely some pieces here...

Tier 1
              Arenado. He's a hitter an extreme hitters environment and he's nearly ready. In my opinion, there is no more valuable a prospect than one that follows that short list of traits.
              I used to agree with this theory. Then I owned Ian Stewart for several years starting when he was the biggest can't miss prospect.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                Tier Z
                Szczur. Also too far off to get a good read, but it sure feels like we should know something by now.
                He's not very far off; he's repeating AA this year. Also, he's going to be out of options either next year of 2015 because the way the Cubs bought him out of the NFL draft involved releasing and resigning him which made them have to put him on the 40-man roster in 2010 or 2011. That being said, I don't know if he's anything more than a fourth OF type. We also can get a good read that he'll win the scrabble points in name category.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                  I used to agree with this theory. Then I owned Ian Stewart for several years starting when he was the biggest can't miss prospect.
                  Yes, he broke many a heart. I also missed on Ben Petrick way back when, then I added catchers to my I Hate All Pitchers List and I got through it okay.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                    He's not very far off; he's repeating AA this year. Also, he's going to be out of options either next year of 2015 because the way the Cubs bought him out of the NFL draft involved releasing and resigning him which made them have to put him on the 40-man roster in 2010 or 2011. That being said, I don't know if he's anything more than a fourth OF type. We also can get a good read that he'll win the scrabble points in name category.
                    That explains it. For someone that feels like he's been around forever, I really have no clue about him.

Comment

I'd try to trade Wong if I were you. I'm skeptical of his upside, and I'm also concerned that he's blocked.

Yes, I'd much rather have Wong than Szczur, but I don't think you'll get much for Szczur, whereas Wong is generally a highly rated prospect who is also playing well right now, meaning you might get pretty good return.

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
                        I'd try to trade Wong if I were you. I'm skeptical of his upside, and I'm also concerned that he's blocked.

Yes, I'd much rather have Wong than Szczur, but I don't think you'll get much for Szczur, whereas Wong is generally a highly rated prospect who is also playing well right now, meaning you might get pretty good return.
                        I am not that big of fan of Szczur, but I cannot imagine that the Cubs would not promote him as quickly as possible in their rebuilding process.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          I am not that big of fan of Szczur, but I cannot imagine that the Cubs would not promote him as quickly as possible in their rebuilding process.
                          The Cubs have a bit of a catch-22 with Szczur. He has undeniable talent, but for someone his age (24 I think) he is still pretty raw because he didn't concentrate fully on baseball until 2011 (he played his senior football season in 2010 at Villanova after playing minor league ball for the Cubs in 2010). Then you have the contract status, again because of his football prowess. So, now they have a guy that probably needs more time for development, but will run out of options soon. The time needed seems obvious since pretty much every year in his minor league career, he does well, then gets promoted, then does poorly. Then he repeats the same level the next year and does well. If he had another couple of years to develop, he might amount to a useful starter, but I don't think he has that time contract-wise.

Comment

Gentlemen - Thanks so much for the input. Great opinions and thoughtful analysis to help make decisions. I traded Gregory Polanco and a future 1st round minor league selection for Tulo at $53. Polanco when he comes up with be $7 and I figure he will get a chance maybe in September or next year at the earliest. Szczur is a personal favorite but not really on any top 100's anymore. Wong might have to wait longer because of Carpenter's adapting to 2b so well. Arenado & Wheeler feel like guys to hold onto - as they may contribute this Summer. Thanks again.
                            Last edited by rotogod; 04-27-2013, 03:40 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Polanco is doing well in high A so far, but I'm not even sure he'll reach AA this season. He will by next spring, and if he has a really good year and a good start in 2014, maybe by midseason of that year.......

He needs some time yet (I picked him up last month, so have been looking at this.)
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                              X