No announcement yet.

Trading Allen Craig.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For what it's worth - I strongly disagree with trading an under performing cheap hitter in the prime of his career for a full value, if not overpriced, starting pitcher on April 18th.

This time of year your team can go from 2nd to last to 2nd overall in one night.

Cliff Lee is a great starter, but pitching is volatile and can be found quite easily on waiver wire or through smaller deals. Allen Craig at 1/6/11 can't be found everyday.

Even if he continues hitting at the exact clip he is at right now you can likely deal him for a full price starter about to turn $35 by selling that he's a great keeper.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
      For what it's worth - I strongly disagree with trading an under performing cheap hitter in the prime of his career for a full value, if not overpriced, starting pitcher on April 18th.

This time of year your team can go from 2nd to last to 2nd overall in one night.

Cliff Lee is a great starter, but pitching is volatile and can be found quite easily on waiver wire or through smaller deals. Allen Craig at 1/6/11 can't be found everyday.

Even if he continues hitting at the exact clip he is at right now you can likely deal him for a full price starter about to turn $35 by selling that he's a great keeper.
      I agree. To me it appears you are selling Craig seriously low here. Just seems like you're likely to regret this dealio bigtime for years to come. Watched him since AA. Not really a guy who gets going in the cold and it has been a pretty cold April.

Comment

Stephen and dannahan...I really like Craig and might regret it for the next two years, but who would be a bigger help towards me winning this year? Lee or Craig? I think Lee...I don't focus too much on the future. I want to win this year.

As I said earlier my leaguemates don't seem to value Craig like we do..so i will never get what you guys think he is worth.

Thanks for the input!!
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          Stephen and dannahan...I really like Craig and might regret it for the next two years, but who would be a bigger help towards me winning this year? Lee or Craig? I think Lee...I don't focus too much on the future. I want to win this year.

As I said earlier my leaguemates don't seem to value Craig like we do..so i will never get what you guys think he is worth.

Thanks for the input!!
          You will get what people here think he's worth...if you keep him!! Can't you "sell high" on somebody else?

Comment

The owner i made the offer to frequents this site. Maybe he will chime in.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Another owner in the league said he would give me Wandy Rodriguez as that's all Craig is worth..

I politely told him, with that line of thinking it's no wonder he has never even sniffed a league championship!

Comment

Thanks for the input!!
                So long as you don't feel compelled to move him cheaper just because he started slowly in the cold weather. That's very typical with him and he's almost certain to get hot with the weather. The issue with Craig is and always has been injuries. Playing more at 1B should lessen the risk. I just don't think mid April is a time to panic and sell low. Is you pitching truely bad or is is just slow out of the gate?

Comment

So, maybe I missed it, but who would you slot in for Craig if you deal him for a pitcher? That makes a huge difference in the deal.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                    So, maybe I missed it, but who would you slot in for Craig if you deal him for a pitcher? That makes a huge difference in the deal.
                    My roster:

C- Rosario
                    1b - Craig (Freeman on DL)
                    2b - Pedroia
                    3b - Frazier
                    SS - Ev, Cabrera
                    OF - Trout
                    OF - Cody Ross
                    OF - Rios
                    OF - Victorino
                    Util - Hafner
                    Util - Kendrick
                    Bench - Viciedo, Segura, Ichiro

SP - Hamels, Medlen, Gallardo, Happ, Gio, Villenueva
                    RP - Rivera, Street, Frieri

Comment

Originally posted by dannahann View Post
                      So long as you don't feel compelled to move him cheaper just because he started slowly in the cold weather. That's very typical with him and he's almost certain to get hot with the weather. The issue with Craig is and always has been injuries. Playing more at 1B should lessen the risk. I just don't think mid April is a time to panic and sell low. Is you pitching truely bad or is is just slow out of the gate?
                      Slow out of the gate with Hamels and Gallardo..I had Gio for only his last crappy start.. But getting Lee would make my staff freaking great (on paper at least). I think I have enough offense to compete in all categories.

Comment

Slow out of the gate with Hamels and Gallardo..I had Gio for only his last crappy start.. But getting Lee would make my staff freaking great (on paper at least). I think I have enough offense to compete in all categories.
                        I'm not sure that you can afford to deal Craig, at least from a power standpoint. You're giving up 20+ HR's that you can't replace, and frankly, I don't see a 30+ HR guy on your roster unless Pronk really has discovered the fountain of youth.

Your pitching, is very good, IMO...both starters and closers. Too early to panic at this point Mith...you've got a nice club there.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Is that just your roster today? I'd think Segura would be starting over Cabrera pretty commonly now.

I still think you'd be better off just waiting Craig out putting him in over Cody Ross in your OF since Freeman will be back on Monday.

Comment

Is that just your roster today? I'd think Segura would be starting over Cabrera pretty commonly now.

I still think you'd be better off just waiting Craig out putting him in over Cody Ross in your OF since Freeman will be back on Monday.
                            I go back and forth between Segura and Cabrera..Both have been playing pretty good so far..

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              I'm not sure that you can afford to deal Craig, at least from a power standpoint. You're giving up 20+ HR's that you can't replace, and frankly, I don't see a 30+ HR guy on your roster unless Pronk really has discovered the fountain of youth.

Your pitching, is very good, IMO...both starters and closers. Too early to panic at this point Mith...you've got a nice club there.
                              Thanks Horns...14 team league isn't real real deep, but it seems like MLB hitters aren't what they used to be..Given that i think my offense even without Craig will garner enough points to compete for the title..

I appreciate all the feedback and even though Craig helped my team win the title last year I am still not quite as convinced he is all you guys think he is. He only has one solid year in the bigs and he has been pretty weak so far.

Comment

For point of reference - last season Craig didn't even play in April and put up the numbers he did. So his 9 RBI and 5 Runs this year are a head start!

Comment

Working...
                                X