4th OFs, 2nd Cs, Backup IFs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th OFs, 2nd Cs, Backup IFs

I'm trying to figure out who will get significant ABs as the 4th OF, 2nd C or utility IF in both the AL and NL. Baltimore seems like a good opportunity in the AL, given Roberts and Hardy's health histories, but is Izturis or Andino the beneficiary? Counsell usually racks up 300ish ABs for Milwaukee, which I can easily see happening with the hackterrific Betancourt at SS.

Right now, I'm just trying to figure out who might get some significant counting stats in deeper leagues. Suggestions and guesses are all welcome. TIA!
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Bernadina in Washington

Lewis in Cinci.

Wigginton in Colorado.

I really think I like Wigginton the best. Already qualifies for 1B, 2B, and OF. He will get his ABs whether or not Helton's creaky back acts up.

Bernadina is a close second.

Comment

I like Ryan Spilborghs. Two reasons:

1) Jim Tracy has made some interesting comments this year about how he doled out playing time last year. He said that he put too much weight on defined roles in 2010, which caused him to give slumping players too long a leash. Couple that with a comment he made specifically about The Rockies RF situation this year (paraphrasing): "I'm going to focus less on who hits left-handed and who hits right-handed and more on who's hitting and who isn't." That's a shot right over Seth Smith's bow: produce or sit. If Spilborghs can outhit him, he'll play.

2) Spilborghs is being groomed as the CF backup this year. Fowler's defense probably insulates him a bit from the new hit-or-sit philosophy, but he is certainly capable of long, ugly slumps. If/when he does lapse, Spilborghs is now the beneficiary.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Jed Lowrie, if he doesnt push Scutaro out and start. Figure Youkilis will be the backup at both 1B and DH. Lowrie will play 3B when Y is not. plus he is the regular backup at 2B and SS. Plus there is a chance for full regular AB, with Scutaro being the Utility man.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Chris Heisey, OF, Cincinnati. Can play all three OF positions, young, can hit. I'm not sure whether he'll get more playing time than Lewis, but he should.

ETA: Ryan Hanigan, C, Cincinnati. May not get as much playing time as Hernandez early on, but the organization just showed enough confidence in him to give him a 3-year deal. Up to now, not a management favorite, yet he hits well enough when given any chance, and his defense is no worse than average.
          Last edited by Don Quixote; 03-13-2011, 11:55 PM.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
            Jed Lowrie, if he doesnt push Scutaro out and start. Figure Youkilis will be the backup at both 1B and DH. Lowrie will play 3B when Y is not. plus he is the regular backup at 2B and SS. Plus there is a chance for full regular AB, with Scutaro being the Utility man.

J
            Actually I just saw an article that said Youkilis won't be playing 1B this year. So Lowrie is suppose to backing up all of the infield spots.

Comment

Lasting Milledge has been getting some good press. If he has matured he could be one Carlos Quentin injury away from a nice opportunity.
              Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

NL backups for my only league I'm looking at include: Eric Hinske, Ty Wiggington, Jorge Cantu, Daniel Murphy, Mike Fontenot, Jerry Hairston, Jason Michaels, Fred Lewis, Marcus Thames, Matt Diaz, Mark DeRosa and Jon Jay.

All of these players will likely be on the bench for opening day, but they will get a lot of ABs imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                  ETA: Ryan Hanigan, C, Cincinnati. May not get as much playing time as Hernandez early on, but the organization just showed enough confidence in him to give him a 3-year deal. Up to now, not a management favorite, yet he hits well enough when given any chance, and his defense is no worse than average.
                  Hanigan has some value in an OBP league and should get at least half the starts this season. You could do worse in an NL only for a buck.
                  After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I really like Chris Dickerson in MIL, if he can stay healthy himself, he's got GoGo and the banged up Corey Hart in front of him.

In the AL, don't rule out Andruw Jones for 200+ AB. Gardner has a tendency to get nicked up, Joe likes to give Granderson a day off against a tough lefty, and Swisher is probably the backup DH (unless they go with Eric Chavez there).

Comment

Working...
                    X