2K15: Evan Gattis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K15: Evan Gattis

What do you guys think of this 27 year old rookie catcher with the booming power? What is McCann's deal? I am kind of rooting for Gattis.
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

He went for the most money in my main league's first free-agent bidding period, even more than Masterson.

The main question I have about him is, where/how often is he gonna play when McCann and Freeman return?
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I like Matt Adams more than Gattis... but they are in similar situations, both mashers who are blocked by extremely talented guys all over the field. Right now he is giving the Braves every reason to take it slow with McCann and Freeman's recoveries.

No reason why Gattis can't stick around as the backup catcher, and since he's a righty, he can platoon with McCann. And he can get a game a week at 1B.

Comment

He's only 26. Not 27 until mid-August.

McCann is expected to be back mid-May. There was some speculation that he isn't too happy with the organization after being benched in the Wild Card game last year in favor of David Ross. He had a few suitors but the Braves didn't deal him.

If Evan keeps mashing the way he is I could see them at least entertaining the thought of dealing McCann. Either way, I wouldn't expect Brian to be back with the Braves next season and he's proven himself to be capable behind the plate so I would think they'd consider him to be the catcher next season.

The thing I love about him is the he's a good hitter. It isn't just power. I've watched him go opposite field with the situation dictates it and he's a very seasoned hitter.

If you don't know his story it's worth reading.

Comment

"he's proven himself to be capable behind the plate"

hmm, not sure about that
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Based on what? Unless you're being cautious due to sample size I don't see what problem you could have with him. I've watched every inning that he's caught this year and have seen any indication that he can't handle the job.

He isn't Pudge Rodriguez but he's been great at blocking balls in the dirt. He is mainly catching the older pitchers, but still he's caught all of Maholm's game thus far and Maholm has rarely shook him off and he's yet to give up an earned run this year.

Comment

Mega catcher this dude looks like he could be a MLB star and quite popular. I hope he steals the job away.

Comment

Gattis isn't gong to steal McCann's job, if only for defensive purposes, even if he has looked good so far. Like Adams, and other players, he's just blocked everywhere right now. I agree that his performance so far pretty much seals the deal that this is McCann's last season with the Braves, but I don't see why the Braves would move McCann during the season once he is healthy. The offense is good already, the experienced catcher defensively (who isn't exactly an offensive slouch; he has won five of the last seven silver slugger awards at catcher) takes priority. Maybe he will allow McCann to take it slowly coming back, but he was already doing that. I doubt he has any effect on Freeman's return---Freeman was playing through the injury before he was DL'd, so I don't think anything will chance his coming back after the minimum 15 days. And he was even hotter than Gattis when he was playing, so I don't see Gattis stealing much time there. Gattis, however, can also play OF (sort of, but just as much as the other positions), so he may stay up getting 3-4 starts a week all over the diamond.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                  Gattis isn't gong to steal McCann's job, if only for defensive purposes, even if he has looked good so far. Like Adams, and other players, he's just blocked everywhere right now. I agree that his performance so far pretty much seals the deal that this is McCann's last season with the Braves, but I don't see why the Braves would move McCann during the season once he is healthy. The offense is good already, the experienced catcher defensively (who isn't exactly an offensive slouch; he has won five of the last seven silver slugger awards at catcher) takes priority. Maybe he will allow McCann to take it slowly coming back, but he was already doing that. I doubt he has any effect on Freeman's return---Freeman was playing through the injury before he was DL'd, so I don't think anything will chance his coming back after the minimum 15 days. And he was even hotter than Gattis when he was playing, so I don't see Gattis stealing much time there. Gattis, however, can also play OF (sort of, but just as much as the other positions), so he may stay up getting 3-4 starts a week all over the diamond.
                  Agreed. 2013 belongs to McCann.

I think 2014 remains to be seen. After McCann comes back, I think we'll see Gattis get some time backing up C/1B/OF and DHing in AL parks, which should be enough to generate WAY more than what any of us paid for him. Also, while Gattis is everybody's hugtoy at this moment, let's not forget that McCann is a team dude and a solid leader. Even on the DL, this is his team, at least for this season.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                    Agreed. 2013 belongs to McCann.

I think 2014 remains to be seen. After McCann comes back, I think we'll see Gattis get some time backing up C/1B/OF and DHing in AL parks, which should be enough to generate WAY more than what any of us paid for him. Also, while Gattis is everybody's hugtoy at this moment, let's not forget that McCann is a team dude and a solid leader. Even on the DL, this is his team, at least for this season.
                    And Gattis could get more playing time easily with pretty much any injury at OF, 1B, or C. Since any of the three starting OF's can play center if necessary, he could play left to replace any injured OF.

Comment

Or maybe - just maybe - he cools off a bit after 34 whole AB.

#justsayin

#lahairofthedog

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        Or maybe - just maybe - he cools off a bit after 34 whole AB.

#justsayin

#lahairofthedog

http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...ghlight=lahair
                        Of course that is possible, but I don't know if we can compare him to LaHair---LaHair was the classic AAAA guy who finally got a starting MLB gig after mashing AAA pitching for years. While Gattis is also old, he isn't a AAAA-type. Hell, he played 49 injury riddled and mediocre games at AA last year and otherwise hasn't played above A-ball. While he has the age, he hasn't been wasting away in the minors, he was running around the country smoking weed. I don't know if there is a good comp. Nevertheless, the point is well taken, 34 AB's, especially when a player has so little experience, mean very, very little. He does look good, however.

Comment

Yeah and you knew LaHair was hit fueled and due for a big drop given he had like 2 walks and 50 K's during his April/May tear. Gattis (granted small sample) looks like a MLB masher with a decent to good BB/K. I hope he takes over sooner than later but I understand how it works.

Comment

El Oso Blanco fans in Colorado!

Comment

They interviewed these guys later on in the game. Turns out these guys are Evan's buddies from high school in Texas who drove up to Colorado to see him play.

That's awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X